Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

My husband, age 67, has had pain above his right breast, across

Customer Question

My husband, age 67, has had pain above his right breast, across from his shoulder, for the last 3 days. It hasn't improved. Yesterday, it seemed to go down his right arm to the elbow. Today, he feels a bit of pain across his entire upper chest. He is in enough pain that he asked me to research it. I should mention that he golfed 3 days ago, but golfs frequently.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Has he ever had pain in these areas before? Any tenderness in any of those areas?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

As far as I can remember, it seems he had this slightly some time ago after playing golf. The pain was not as severe as it is now.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Any problem with moving the shoulder?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He moves it, but when he tries to move his right arm across his chest, it hurts, and he can only go just so far, about to where the pain is located in the upper chest.
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK. There may be more that just one thing going on here but part of it sounds like either a pectoral muscle pull or perhaps a rotator cuff tendonitis in the shoulder. That said, the radiated pain the the right arm sounds like a nerve compression from the neck. For now he can try topical capsaicin cream and ibuprofen if he hasn't got any contraindications for that but he should have a doctor check all this out and see if an MRI of the shoulder and/or the neck is in order
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much! He was worried about his heart being affected....

I appreciate your response Dr. Chip!

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome but I don't think this indicates a heart problem