Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  30 years of experience
8227957

Good evening, I was cleaning my bathroom and I used Lysol

Good evening,

I was cleaning my bathroom and I used Lysol Disinfecting Wipes to clean the exterior portion of the commode. I sprayed Clorox Clean-Up inside the bowl and some of it sprayed on the surface where I had cleaned with Lysol Disinfecting Wipes. I know that mixing ammonia and bleach can cause toxic fumes.
I am concerned I created a hazardous situation. I am a multiple myeloma patient and immunocompromised with both anemia and neutropenia.
Could I have breathed in toxic vapors?
I opened the bathroom window about 20 minutes after the incident and I normally use a mask when I do household cleaning. Nonetheless, I am still concerned.

Respectfully,
Elaine
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer.

When did it occur?

Do you feel any symptom now?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This occurred about 40 minutes ago. I am not feeling anything unusual other than a scratchy throat.

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information.

When a fume is generated, you would feel burning in the eyes.

There can be difficulty in breathing.

As you used mask, the inhalation is less.

Again you have opened the windows & got the room ventilated.

I feel you should not be worried.

Still you can call poison control center (NNN) NNN-NNNN

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please press the EXCELLENT/ GOOD FEEDBACK and feel free for any follow up query.

Regards.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your reply Dr. Saha. If any fumes were present how long does it take for the fumes to clear the room?

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
I think you did not notice any fume.

From the incident you described, the generation of fume would be minimum.

1/2 -1 hour ventilation would be enough.
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 30 years of experience