Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),34yrs experience in practice
15267045

I have problem w hemrroids after each bm. Painful for about

I have problem w hemrroids after each bm. Painful for about hr than subsides. I am using hydrocortisone suppository
Any suggestions?

The pain with the hemorrhoids(engorged rectal veins) is often seen when there is infection or the pile causes a rectal muscle spasm.To prevent the pain ,you can take stool softeners like Dioctyl sodium sulfosuccinate(not laxatives) and plenty of fluids with a high fibre diet.Use of moist towelettes rather than dry toilet paper,icepacke ,warm sitz bath,application of local numbing creams and hydrocortisone,use of analgesics like tylenol will help reduce the pain.regular exercise,losing weight if overweight will help.Avoid alcohol.If the problem persists despite home measures,a consultation with your PCP/Doctor would be prudent.He will examine you and may prescribe medication and antibiotics if required.Minor surgery like banding/sclerotherapy may be required,rarely hemorhoidectomy may be needed.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Without bleeding would banding be a option?
Banding is like pinching off a engorged vessel,it will shrink and eliminate the pile.A tight rubber band is placed at the base of the pile,blocking its blood supply.It is a simple and efficient method for treating hemorrhoids.