Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.

How long does it take for a person, once infected with a cold

How long does it take for a person, once infected with a cold virus, to exhibit symptoms? My friend who was sick & in the middle of a long kissed another friend of mine, & she hasn't come down with any symptoms yet & says she feels fine. This happened on Sunday. Its Wednesday now. How did she manage to avoid getting sick?

Hello, Welcome to JustAnswer!

Thanks for your question.

It is good to know that she is not having any cold symptoms at this time. From the time of infection to the development of symptoms is called as incubation period and in the case of common cold it could be somewhere between 37 to 72 hours. Now the next important point is that it is not mandatory to develop cold after kissing.... odds of transmitting infection in this way is low, but possible. These kind of infections are common during early childhood and in a person with a weak immunity, but as you become adult,,,, these infection become less frequent and you immunity play a significant role in it. There are 100 different viruses that can cause common cold, once you recover from one type of infection, your body is immune to that specific virus, and you never catch the same virus again as you are protected. This might be a case as well for not developing symptoms at all after three days.

The last point is that most of these common colds are harmless and tends to subside on its own without any specific treatment. Since she does not have any symptoms, no treatment is required at this time. Please let me know if you have any specific question for me.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So you're saying that open-mouthed kissing is a low-risk activity, as far as transmission of the common cold is concerned?

Most common cold viruses are not transmitted by saliva. Thus, kissing by itself may not transmit the infection, but during the act the direct contact or transmission of virus by other means may cause transmission.
You can read more about it from this link:

I hope these information are helpful to you.