Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.

How long does it take for pains to cease once i start a two

How long does it take for pains to cease once i start a two week regiment of anti-biotics for a peptic ulcer?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer!
Thanks for your question. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

What are your symptoms?
Are you taking H.Pylori eradication medication?
Have you taken these medications before?
Are you on any other meds for another reason?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My symptoms are persistant pain in two places in my upper abdomen. The first is immediately below my upper left rib, the second is immediately below my upper right rib - I was told these areas where most probably my the beginning and end of my duadinem (sp). I am taking the following meds (I have only taken Amoxicillin before and have taken Prilosec for about 4 months):

Clarithromycin, 500 MG 2x a day

Prilosec, 1x a day

Amoxicillin, 500MG 2 x a day

I was also given Tramadol for the pain in my abdomen and take Welburtin and Dicyclomine for IBS.

Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for the information.
I am sorry to hear about your symptoms.
The complete recovery from a peptic ulcer depends upon several factors such as size of the ulcer and cause of the ulcer. If the cause of the ulcer is identified and treated appropriately, ulcer will heal within several weeks. At the same time, an appropriate measures have to be taken to minimize further damage and complication. This may involve avoiding alcohol, smoking, NSAIDS etc. H.pylori is commonly involved in ulcer formation, but this infection can be eradicated with H. Pylori eradication regime. H.Pylori medications are very effective in eradicating this infection which in turn promotes ulcer healing. Some of the symptoms such as pain/discomfort and burning may improve gradually within a week or so, but complete recovery and ulcer healing may take several weeks. Thus, it is strongly recommended to take all those medication as prescribed by your doctor.

Based on your description, I don't think you had any H. pylori test or endoscopy... if you have not done so it will be a good idea to have those test done to make final diagnosis. Since you have pain in upper abdomen, it is also important to rule out other potential causes of upper abdomen pain that may be related to liver, gallbladder, spleen, pancreas, or IBS. Your doctor can run blood test and ultrasound to rule out all these possibilities. You can discuss all these possibilities with your doctor in your upcoming follow-up.

Please let me know if you have any other question for me.
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 4 years ago.
You can read more about H. pylori from these links: