Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.
11246089
Health

Ive had a hard (bone like) lump on my forehead (above eyebrow)

I've had a hard (bone... Show More
I've had a hard (bone like) lump on my forehead (above eyebrow) for about 11 years. It doesn't move and skin moves freely over it. Recently in the past 4 months or so my lymph nodes behind my ears have become pretty swollen and painful. I also get headaches (pressure) near my forehead lump. What could possibly cause this? What types of cancers can cause bone like lump on forehead? 35years old.
Hello and welcome, I am happy to help you today.

Firstly, I would like to highlight that a lump which has been there for almost 11 years without any significant change is very unlikely to be cancer.

This lump is possibly a dermoid cyst or mucocele of the frontal sinus which may have got infected. Both the above two lesions are benign but you need to get the lump evaluated by doing an X ray followed by a CT scan of the frontal sinus.

In case the benign lump is infected, you will need treatment like antibiotics or even surgical excision, if possible.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Please do not rate my answer if your question is not yet fully answered.You can simply ask further by using REPLY button and I will get back to you.

Please remember to rate me excellent service (or 4 or 3 positive rating)to give credit for my answer and time.We only receive credit for answering your question with a positive rating.Bonuses are warmly appreciated.
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.

Thank you!

I also have a smaller different bump above my temple. This one is softer and can have shooting pain at times. (have had this one for approx 6 years) the only changes in either lumps seems to be more headaches/pains lately.

Also regarding my lymph nodes behind my ears. They have been swollen for a couple months (3-6, i don't remember). They are also very hard, and can have shooting pain in them as well. What causes this?

The lump above the temple may be an infected sebaceous cyst, folliculitis and so on

The painful nodes may be related to these painful / tender bumps but these may be due to other reasons like inflammation of nearby salivary glands etc.But the nodes may also be due to systemic conditions like tuberculosis, granulomatous diseases as you mentioned that you noticed them 3 to 6 months back.

I my opinion, you should consult your GP and get a CT scan of these lumps to actually confirm the diagnosis and also to se if there is any connection with the underlying bones. This will guide your next step , that is treating these lesions and the nodes.

I hope my answer has helped you.

If you do not have any more questions,

Customer reply replied 4 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX appreciate your help. I've been doing a lot of reseach on the web lately and all I see is cancer! in your opinion, is that "pretty" unlikely since the "lumps" have been there for 5+ and 11 years?

What type of cancer could cause lumps on head?

Sorry for the late answer as I was offline and did not see your last reply.

Now, the basic thing is that some cancers can be slow growing but cancers of the head are usually aggressive. Meaning that in the long time span that you have had these bumps, you would have noticed some changes of shape, size, texture.

These lumps may however be benign tumors of nerves like schwannoma can sometimes form lumps on the scalp. So, the best think would be to confirm the diagnosis by a CT scan followed by a biopsy of the lumps, if you really want to know if these are benign.

I hope my point is clear to you.

Customer reply replied 4 years ago.

I appreciate your help and left excellent rating.

Regarding the "soft" lump near temple, any chance it could be temporal arteritis?

Thank you for the excellent rating.

Temporal arteritis can cause a cord like swelling of the temporal artery which may have a "serpentine configuration". The soft lump could be a nerve related tumor, so may be causing shooting pain as previously indicated in my last post.

Please get the tests done as early as possible and do let me know the results through a follow up question addressed as DR. BORA.
Customer reply replied 4 years ago.

Thank you and I will follow up after appointment. I do have 1 last question though. When I do "heavy" chewing such as chewing steak, or gum I can get swelling underneath both of my temples (it is noticeable) . The swelling usually then goes down within a couple minutes of rest. Any clue what that could be?

Its difficult to comment without clinical examination however these may be prominent branches of the temporal artery.

I hope my answer has helped you.