Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

I have been diagnosed with severe arthritis in my right lower

I have been diagnosed with severe arthritis in my right lower thumb area. I've seen a ortho dr who wants to schedule and MRI because of a cyst that appears on the xray. I may want to have surgery. With this I've developed tennis elbow and there is also a burning muscle in my upper arm. My question is regarding the burning muscle in the upper arm could this be related to the arthritis and tennis elbow?
HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today with your question. I will be happy to assist you with your follow up questions also. I am going to address your primary concern and then you can ask anything you want. As far as tennis elbow is concerned the pain in tennis elbow occurs where the tendons of your forearm muscles attach to the bone on the outside of your elbow. Pain can also spread into your forearm and wrist but upper arm symptoms are not there with tennis elbow. Burning anywhere in body's musculo- skeletal system means that some nerve is compressed or is inflamed. So arthritis can have a role here if it is involving the shoulder joint or somewhere in spine. I hope i have clarified myself but please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more and I will be glad to assist you. Your excellent feedback is requested and will be appreciated, regards.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The burning sensation is a couple of inches above the elbow on the outer side of the arm. There is not any pain in the shoulder region. It just seems so far removed from the thumb region that I couldn't see the correlation. But my thoughts are that it may have to do with the elbow which I'm receiving physical therapy.

Thanks a lot for your input. Even in that case if you have it around elbow burning again means that there is a nerve compression or inflammation in that area. This is more likely to be due to arthritis but not due to tennis elbow. However good thing is this that you are receiving physical therapy because this is what is required in any case and will help you with this. I would suggest you to take some OTC multivitamin which contains B12 as its good for nerves. You can ask your doctor for tab gabapentin which is good at relieving such burning. I wish you good luck that you get well soon, please ask if you have any question because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more and I will be glad to assist you. Your excellent feedback is requested and will be appreciated, regards.