Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist

INTERNIST: Can a bleeding ulcer heal without treatment?

Dear customer,
I am Dr.Charles and I’m happy to help with your question today. I need the following information from you, so that I can provide you the best answer:

When were you diagnosed for bleeding ulcer?
Are you having black or dark brown stools?
Have you undergone any tests so far?
Is there any other known medical illness?

I am online and is waiting for your reply.

Kind Regards-
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Had dark stools ten days ago at same time as stomach discomfort but no apparent problems now. Waiting for test kit. Something called EZ Test that I ordered from Walmart. Do those cheap kits actually test for blood or just iron? Please answer question. Can a bleeding ulcer stop on its own? Have seen one doctor and he said no concern. Want to double check, however.

Thanks for the valuable info you had given.I’ve taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:

The EZ DETECT Stool Blood Test is an advanced home test available to detect hidden blood in the stool.It is clinically proven to be accurate for the detection of blood in the stool & is FDA-approved.

An ulcer can temporarily heal without antibiotics.But it is common for an ulcer to recur or for another ulcer to form nearby, if the bacteria are not killed.Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) is the bacteria responsible for most ulcers and many cases of stomach inflammation (chronic gastritis).Antibiotic medications are used to treat H. pylori infection.Two antibiotic medications such as clarithromycin (Biaxin), amoxicillin, tetracycline, or metronidazole (Flagyl) for 14 days are usually required.

Following tests are required to confirm h.pylori bacteria-the most common cause of peptic ulcers:

-Urea breath test
-Blood antibody test
-Stool antigen test

So botXXXXX XXXXXne is that a bleeding ulcer may get temporarily heal without medications but may reoccur if underlying cause is not treated.I advice you to make an appointment with your doctor for these tests & examination to know the exact cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.

Hope this helped & I had provided you an excellent service.

Your satisfaction is my prime goal and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Kind Regards-

Hi Mary
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Have you consulted your doctor?
Was H.pylori detected?

Let me know,
Dr. Charles