Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  30 years of experience

I have been having a muscular pain in my left arm for some

I have been having a muscular pain in my left arm for some time now. All of the pain is in my upper arm and it is worse if I try yo reach up or up and back at the same time. Keeping the arm in front of me and down, not up seems to help. I am a male 69 years old taking Norvasc 15mg and Nexium 20mg. I am otherwise in pretty good health. What is causing this and do you think it's serious?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer.

When did the pain start?

Do you feel any other sympXXXXX XXXXXke chest discomfort, shortness of breath?

Did you have any trauma?

Is there any swelling, tenderness?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The pain started a couple of months ago. Off and on. No other symptoms like chest pain or shortness of breath. No trauma as such, but I do have a Jon boat with the trolling motor on the left rear that I operate with my left arm. There is no swelling, but it is sensitive to certain movements. Over head or behind my back. It seems to get past a certain sensitive spot and then feels okay.
Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information,

Your pain seems to be related to musculoskeletal issue.

Heart pain like angina or attack can cause referred pain in left arm.

But when it is worse on certain movement or position, it is likely to be associated with shoulder.

There can be an injury or strain of rotator cuff.

It can be injured from repetitive motion in work particularly overhead.

Arthritis, adhesive capsulitis, impingement are other probables.

I would advise to take an examination by your doctor or an orthopedic specialist.

X ray/ scan, blood test can be needed.

Treatment of rotatory cuff tear differs.

Usually conservative therapy is tried first.

Till then, you can take pain medicine like tylenol.

Heat can be applied.

Hot packs or heating pads can be used.

Application of warm moist towel, hot shower can be helpful.

Rest is also important.

You should not do activity which precipitates the pain.

Sometimes, local steroid injection can be needed to control the pain.

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Best wishes.
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience: 30 years of experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What would you recommend to alleviate the pain? Ibuprophen or Alleve seems to work, but I don't want to take it on a regular basis. Tylenol on the other hand doesn't work for me. Is there a long term fix for the problem other than not using the left arm as I have in the past?

Expert:  Dr. Saha replied 1 year ago.
As you are having pain for a few months off and on, I feel you should consult one orthopedic doctor.

Exact cause should be find out.

Besides pain medicine, physiotherapy can help.

Aleve, Ibuprofen are good pain medicine, they can cause gastritis.

Tylenol with codeine can be used.

Doctor can prescribe it if it is required.

When the pain is less, regular exercise under direction of a physical medicine specialist will be helpful.