Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist
6554558

i went to the doctor

i went to the doctor and i have asthma , caused by high anxiety/stress. i took anxiety meds today and also had a breathing treatment, but now the asthma has come back tonite, is there any at home remedys to get that under control?

Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Charles replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,
I am Dr. Charles and I’m happy to help with your question today. I need the following information from you, so that I can provide you the best answer:

Since how long you have asthma?
Have you undergone any tests so far?

I am online and is waiting for your reply.

Kind Regards-
Dr.Charles
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

its lasted off and on for about 5 days ( i had asthma as a kid but havent had a attack for over 7 years)

they did a ekg and chest xray which were normal, blood pressure was fine as well as 100% oxogyn so they believe that my asthma or difficulty breathing at times is due to stress/anxiety which they confirmed i have trouble with.

So they gave me a emergency anxiety med, and a day to day one for long term, and also Abutoral for a nebulizer to kick the asthma, however, i used both nebulizer and emergency anxiety med about 5 hours ago, and i already feel like im having difficulty breathing again.

Dear customer,
Thanks for the valuable info you had given.I’ve taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:

You need to go to ER now.As you have already taken emergency anxiety medicine & nebulizer without much relief & still have breathing discomfort,you need other anti depressants accordingly.

Panic attacks may occur in any anxiety disorder, usually in response to a specific situation tied to the main characteristic of the disorder.You may need following tests:

-Dexamethasone Suppression test
-Zung Self-Rating Depression Scale,
-Hamilton Rating Scale for Depression (HRSD).
-Spirometery

Several medicines can make panic attacks less severe or stop them altogether. specific members of the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor(SSRI) and the benzodiazepine families of medications are approved by the Food and Drug Administration to treat panic disorder.Cognitive-behavior therapy & psychotherapy also may help greatly.Broncho dilators & steroids may be required accordingly.

Hope this helped & I had provided you an excellent service.

Your satisfaction is my prime goal and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Kind Regards-
Dr.Charles

Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience: Internal medicine specialist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would you agree, that it is anxiety induced then still>?
Dear John,
I am happy to answer your follow up question.

Anxiety & stress is one of the commonest aggravating factor for inducing the asthma attack.Without examination & tests it is difficult to say that what has triggered this.

Also again oxygen saturation & other lung tests will be done accordingly.Bronchodialators are of two types: first is short-acting drugs whose effects last from three to six hours such as albuterol (Ventolin), terbutaline(Bricanyl), secondailly is long acting drugs like salmeterol (Serevent).Also Theophylline may be prescribed.

Anti anxiety pills will be prescribed if the cause is confirmed.

Hope this helped.& I had provided you an excellent service.

My main motive is your satisfaction.If you still have any questions in mind,please feel free to ask.

Kind Regards-
Dr.Charles

Hi JA customer,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Have you consulted your doctor?

Let me know,
Dr. Charles