Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate

I have pcos my Dr put me on metformin and my my periods have

Customer Question

I have pcos my Dr put me on metformin and my my periods have been regular until last month it was 5all days late and now I haven't started at all not quit 2 weeks ago I started hurting really bad in mu ovaries became really sick everyday had mucus boobs sore all that my Dr said she thought I was ovulating...I'm still sick everyday the pain in my ovaries has lessened but my boobs are still sore..what do I do?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Owen : Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
Dr. Owen : Are you possibly pregnant?
Customer: My husband and I have been trying for months now but was told it might be impossible because of the pcos...but what if I just ovulated a few weeks ago.. why would I still be sick?
Customer: Wouldn't it be too soon to tell?
Customer: And why would I have been sick all these weeks..could the pain I had not been ovulation but beginning pregnancy? ??
Customer: I took a 2 test Oct 1st it showed neg in the test part but nothing in the control window?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 1 year ago.
I am trying to get more history of you that is all?
Are you trying to get pregnant?
What do you mean by 'inconclusive' on the pregnancy test?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 1 year ago.
Can you also tell me the dosage of Metformin you are on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes we are trying...the 2 tests from different tines showed neg in the test part but nothing in the control window and 1000mg of metformin...
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 1 year ago.
Nothing in the control window - that is very odd - what tests are you using?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ept ...that was on Oct 1st it haven't taking any since...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also I discuss it with my Dr on Oct 3rd ans she brushed it off as me ovulating and didn't want to do a pregnancy test on I'm so confused and scared to take another test...
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 1 year ago.
Let's first discuss the PCOS....
What is your height and weight?
How were you diagnosed with PCOS?
What is the dosage of Metformin you take?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5'7 250lbs and diagnosis by symptoms no periods and an ultrasound I take 1000 mg of metformin daily
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 1 year ago.
Has your doctor discussed your weight with you at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes and I've worked on losing weight for years I've been diagnosed with pcos for years now...in the past 3 months I've dropped 17 months ...my weight is one of the reasons I was diagnosed with pcos because I use to be 140 lbs and started gaining and wouldn't stop...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
17 pounds sorry
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 1 year ago.
Have you seen a nutritionist for this?
I am concerned for you because of this weight -
Have you been evaluated for low thyroid?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes I have hypothyroid along with other health problems ..
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 1 year ago.
What are you taking for your hypothyroid?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Synthroid 75 mcg I also have supreventricular tachycardia had it all my life and IC interstitial cystitis had it for years...I have perfect cholesterol levels and don't have high blood pressure ...
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 1 year ago.
What do you do for exercise -?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I walk and ridea bike at least 3 miles5x a week
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 1 year ago.
How about your diet - how many calories are you eating per day - ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My limit intake is 1700 I monitor it but I often eat less..
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 1 year ago.
And, with this diet, exercise, and thyroid treatment, you are still gaining weight?
Have you had your adrenal glands checked?
Do you have diabetes by any chance?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I lose weight then gain some over and over...I've had everything checked they found nothing else..
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 1 year ago.
You should consider getting one on one help from a nutritionist and also eating is important -you do not want to eat too little as this can be just as much of a problem as eating too much.
As for exercise - you need to get this more involved and actually sweat - walking and biking for just 3 miles is not going to break much of a sweat -
You need to really work out hard so that you are working out for 60 minutes 5 times per week and sweating hard - that way you will burn true calories.

And, if you say all testing is normal - then this comes down to exercise and diet.
And you ask what do you do - in your question??? - you need to lose weight and this will improve just about everything.

I hope this helps
Please click on EXCELLENT
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You didn't address my original questions all u wanted to do was talk about my weight!
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 1 year ago.
The reason for your ovaries and breasts being sore are due to the fact you do have PCOS - polycystic ovarian syndrome - this increases the hormone levels in your body and that is why I was talking so much about your weight -
I understand you want something for it now.
What might help is Progesterone - even the birth control pill called Micronor might help.