Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate

I have pcos my Dr put me on metformin and my my periods have

I have pcos my Dr put me on metformin and my my periods have been regular until last month it was 5all days late and now I haven't started at all not quit 2 weeks ago I started hurting really bad in mu ovaries became really sick everyday had mucus boobs sore all that my Dr said she thought I was ovulating...I'm still sick everyday the pain in my ovaries has lessened but my boobs are still sore..what do I do?

Dr. Owen : Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
Dr. Owen : Are you possibly pregnant?
Customer: My husband and I have been trying for months now but was told it might be impossible because of the pcos...but what if I just ovulated a few weeks ago.. why would I still be sick?
Customer: Wouldn't it be too soon to tell?
Customer: And why would I have been sick all these weeks..could the pain I had not been ovulation but beginning pregnancy? ??
Customer: I took a 2 test Oct 1st it showed neg in the test part but nothing in the control window?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I am trying to get more history of you that is all?
Are you trying to get pregnant?
What do you mean by 'inconclusive' on the pregnancy test?
Can you also tell me the dosage of Metformin you are on?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes we are trying...the 2 tests from different tines showed neg in the test part but nothing in the control window and 1000mg of metformin...
Nothing in the control window - that is very odd - what tests are you using?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ept ...that was on Oct 1st it haven't taking any since...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Also I discuss it with my Dr on Oct 3rd ans she brushed it off as me ovulating and didn't want to do a pregnancy test on I'm so confused and scared to take another test...
Let's first discuss the PCOS....
What is your height and weight?
How were you diagnosed with PCOS?
What is the dosage of Metformin you take?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
5'7 250lbs and diagnosis by symptoms no periods and an ultrasound I take 1000 mg of metformin daily
Has your doctor discussed your weight with you at all?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes and I've worked on losing weight for years I've been diagnosed with pcos for years the past 3 months I've dropped 17 months weight is one of the reasons I was diagnosed with pcos because I use to be 140 lbs and started gaining and wouldn't stop...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
17 pounds sorry
Have you seen a nutritionist for this?
I am concerned for you because of this weight -
Have you been evaluated for low thyroid?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I have hypothyroid along with other health problems ..
What are you taking for your hypothyroid?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Synthroid 75 mcg I also have supreventricular tachycardia had it all my life and IC interstitial cystitis had it for years...I have perfect cholesterol levels and don't have high blood pressure ...
What do you do for exercise -?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I walk and ridea bike at least 3 miles5x a week
How about your diet - how many calories are you eating per day - ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My limit intake is 1700 I monitor it but I often eat less..
And, with this diet, exercise, and thyroid treatment, you are still gaining weight?
Have you had your adrenal glands checked?
Do you have diabetes by any chance?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I lose weight then gain some over and over...I've had everything checked they found nothing else..
You should consider getting one on one help from a nutritionist and also eating is important -you do not want to eat too little as this can be just as much of a problem as eating too much.
As for exercise - you need to get this more involved and actually sweat - walking and biking for just 3 miles is not going to break much of a sweat -
You need to really work out hard so that you are working out for 60 minutes 5 times per week and sweating hard - that way you will burn true calories.

And, if you say all testing is normal - then this comes down to exercise and diet.
And you ask what do you do - in your question??? - you need to lose weight and this will improve just about everything.

I hope this helps
Please click on EXCELLENT
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You didn't address my original questions all u wanted to do was talk about my weight!
The reason for your ovaries and breasts being sore are due to the fact you do have PCOS - polycystic ovarian syndrome - this increases the hormone levels in your body and that is why I was talking so much about your weight -
I understand you want something for it now.
What might help is Progesterone - even the birth control pill called Micronor might help.