Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I injured my shoulder playing softball last night. Collision

I injured my shoulder playing softball last night.
Collision with another player, I tumbled to the ground and landed on my leg and right shoulder.

I can move it, but it is tender to the touch in the middle, and it hurts when I raise my arm or move it forward. It does not hurt unless I move it or press on the top part.

Also, there is significantly less pain when I move my arms down, after raising it for example.

I am wondering if this sounds more like a sprain vs. rotator cuff injury. Also, should I be using ice every 2-3 hours or rotate it with a heat pack or something like that.

I probably won't be able to get to a doctor for x-rays for about 2-3 days.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Where exactly is the tenderness--in the shoulder itself or on the collar bone?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It is more or less ... both.

If I press hard on the collar bone, there is pain.

And with just normal day to day use of the shoulder, it kind of feels "jammed" for lack of a better phrase. It hurts worse when I move the shoulder up and to the front and less so when I move it down or back.

The only reason I even mentioned sprain in the initial email is because that is kind of what it feels like. Once before, I stepped on a friends foot while playing basketball, and I had a high ankle sprain that felt similar.

I iced the area extensively last night, and the swelling has subsided. To be honest, though, there wasn't much to begin with

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
OK--If you fell on the shoulder itself then not really a sprain. Just a contusion and if you have full range of motion and no bruising then not a fracture. For now I just suggest heat and ibuprofen for the pain, but I don't think you need x-rays. That said, if it still bothers you after another day or two, have a doctor take a look.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the quick reply. Yes, the motion is there and there is no cracking or popping going on.

But I thought I better ask because the pain is worse than I thought it would be for a bruise.

I will get it checked out if there is no improvement by Friday.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 2 years ago.
Take care and please rate my service to you
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice