Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I am having bad pain in my stomach area but the pain goes right

Customer Question

I am having bad pain in my stomach area but the pain goes right up under my breats.
i have seen a doctor and he told me to eat white rice and drink boiled water. i have been doing this and nothing has changed if not getting worse. i feel like my inside in brused with occasianol stabbing pain. I need a second opinion. can you help?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 4 years ago.

Greetings Zoe.

Since when is the pain?
Do you have bloating, gas, diarrhea / constipation, heartburn, nausea, urinary burning?
Any significant past medical illness or surgery?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Pain started last wednsday night, no dirreha or nausia, i do feel bloated. i had a urine infection a few weeks ago that went for about 2weeks and 4 yrs.ago i went to hospital with a kiddny infection.

Hello Zoe,

It seems that your doctor suspected of viral intestinal infection. But in the absence o diarrhea, this may be something else.

Your symptoms are suggestive of;

1) Gall bladder pain; this can be due to gall stones of poorly functioning gall bladder.
2) Hiatal hernia or gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
3) Peptic ulcer
4) A kidney infection or a kidney stone.

5) Pleurisy; it can cause upper abdominal and pain in chest / breast region.

You need following investigative work up for the ascertainment of the cause;

1) Ultrasound
2) CT scan
3) Complete blood count
4) Comprehensive metabolic panel
5) Urine routine and culture.

6) Chest x-ray

These would provide the diagnosis. Since your symptoms had been going on for 5 days, it is high time that further work up and re-examination by your doctor is done.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.