Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  35 years of experience

I am a 53 year old man. I have been in good shape with no problems

I am a 53 year old man. I have been in good shape with no problems in my life. I have been having these very painful pains in my mid anus. They will come and go about every two to three weeks. It is a very mild pain then gets worse, mostly lasting for about 30 min.

Welcome to Just Answer.

Do you have bleeding while passing stool or any other symptom?

Did you have any test?

When does it occur usually, day or night? Is there any precipitating factor?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No bleeding at all. I do get heart burn very very often. I am 5' 8" , 165 pounds.

Thank you for the information,

Pain in the rectum can occur from different causes.

When you do not have any bleeding or other change of bowel/ stool, then it can be related to muscle spasm.

This can be proctalgia or spasm of anal or rectal muscles.

This is often related to stress.

Treatment usually consists of taking large amount of fibers or vegetable & fresh fruits which helps to have large bowel movement.

Sometimes sedatives can also be needed.

I would advise to take an examination by doctor to rule out any other factor.

He can take an internal examination of rectum & anal canal.

Please take plenty of fluid, fresh vegetables & fruits.

I hope this information helps.

Please continue conversation till you are satisfied.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please do not click "bad" or "poor" as this leaves negative feedback. If you aren't 100% satisfied or have follow up questions, just click "reply."

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It doesn't feel like a spasm. The pain starts off slow then gets very bad in my upper anul area. It feels as if it is like someone is pinching my insides. If this makes sense to you? It is a fist gripping pain when it is full out, then just starts to go away...

The griping type of pain can occur from spasm.

It can cause severe pain.

Other causes like a fissure, inflammation, growth would have more persistent pain, bleeding with stool, change of bowel habit etc.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you very much, one last question, what can I purchase over the counter to do a complete bowl flush? And would this be a good thing to do?
Bowel flushing or colon cleansing would not help.

Colon cleansing is usually advised by doctors when they want to do some examination of the colon or want to prepare for any procedure there.

Otherwise it is not considered a safe procedure.

It may lead to several complications like electrolyte imbalance , anemia, dehydration , malnutrition etc.

In some cases it may lead to absorption of excess fluid into the body leading to heart failure.