Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

In august of 2010 my bowel was perforated during gall bladder

In august of 2010 my bowel was perforated during gall bladder surgery cuasing severe septic poisoning. After bowel re-section surgery and a lengthy stay in hospital I was told I was just a few hours away from dying. Once I was released from the hospital about 8 months later I started having burning, tingling, twitching in my arms, legs and face. My neurological doctors ran ncv, emg, csf and blood work up and diagnosed me with CIDP. Just wondering if I will ever feel a 100% again or will I have to deal with al these symptoms including fatigue for the rest of my life.

Sorry to hear about your problem but can I ask whether your doctors have discussed the course of CIDP with you?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, I was told its episodic but progressive due to the amount of damage done before diagnosis and treatment .
And how are you being treated for it now?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Exercise and B12
OK--and how has it been going with the treatment?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Helps some with the fatigue but doesn't seem to subdue my other symptoms, in fact some days my symptoms are worse.
OK. All I can do here is tell you about other treatment for this and what you might be able to expect from that. Will that help?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm feeling somewhat desperate, so any input would be greatly appreciated.
OK. First let me ask--your doctor didn't talk about other medications like prednisone and others for this--just B 12?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just the B12, exercise and the klonopin to help me sleep.
OK..First off, the usual mainstay of medications for this is prednisone and it is very effective. Other medications include azathioprine, cyclosporine, and cyclophosphamide. Also, gamma globulin infusions and something called plasmaphresis can be used. As for the course, it can be variable and some patients have a fairly normal life albeit not without pain and discomfort. But unfortunately there is no cure. I do think, though, that you shouldn't give up hope here because I do think you will be able to get on with your life and not be in constant pain and discomfort.