Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

Hello. I have edema in my legs. I drive a semi truck and obviously

Hello. I have edema in my legs. I drive a semi truck and obviously I am seated for many hours driving. When I was diagnosed with this I was fitted for compression stockings and they do help.

However here is my concern. I would like to take a vacation to Melbourne, Australia next year. The flights are 4 hours from Chicago to Los Angeles and then a layover. That flight does not concern me. It's the 15 and a half hour flight from LA to Melbourne that does. If I wear the compression stockings and get up from time to time to stretch out and move the legs will I be all right on such a long flight?

Thanks for your help and advice

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

Do you take any medication?

Customer:

For high blood pressure yes, but nothing for the edema

Dr Brims :

Okay, then you shouldn't have any problems as long as you stand up and walk frequently

Dr Brims :

You should discuss possibly taking an aspirin before the flight with your doctor as well

Customer:

How often would you suggest on such a long flight? Obviously I would like to get some sleep as well

Dr Brims :

Every 3 hours

Customer:

I have low dosage bayer asprin with me. Is that what you suggest taking before the flight?

Dr Brims :

Yes, but you should discuss it with your doctor first

Customer:

Ok, no problem

I just want to follow up and see how you are doing?