Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

Flu like symptoms , flushed, fatigue, nausea, low appetite,dry

Flu like symptoms , flushed, fatigue, nausea, low appetite,dry mouth, changes in bowel habits, been going on awhile, but seems to be getting worse, starting to interfere with my ability to function. any ideas?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Tell me more and how long has it been going on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

has been going on now probably 3 to 4 months, though symptoms have worsened in the last month and a half... in the beginning, there seemed to be a constant pressure on my rectum, and stool was full of mucus, and un formed... would have to go many times, but even after going, I did not feel relieve of pressure.... felt tired often with some nausea occasionally.. Now it seems that I am exhausted all the time, if I try to go about work and daily routine in spite... I become very nauseated, to the point I have to stop. I feel flushed... Very dry mouth. well basically, feels like I have the flu now. Becoming very hard to function.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK. Your age and any other medical conditions? I take it you haven't seen a doctor about this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am 53 years old, I have been dealing with extreme anxiety, for well over 2 years, which was being treated by my dr. In January, The situation became extreme... It was a constant push, one thing after another, legal issues, and general harassment , that would not let up. In February the stress had pushed my B.P up to 181/106. I then was prescribed beta blockers, which lowered my B.P, and continued to deal with the issues at hand, I then feel I reached a point that the stress had overloaded on me. and I couldn't handle anymore, emotionally or physically. I felt it had really taken a tole on me physically, and that is when the symptoms began. I continued working almost on a normal level, though it seemed I had a decreased energy level. Gradually symptoms worsened. Until I reached this flu like state.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK. So you haven't hat things like thyroid, anemia check, other things checked recently?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, I haven't... I feel what ever this is, was caused by an overload of stress to my body... It was like I was in fight or flight mode for months. almost a year actually.... even now I feel it tho I don't feel well enough to keep up with it, and when I try to go anyway, that is when the symptoms will put me down.. I have often heard, listen to your body, My body is exhausted, I seem to hear it say. Infact I have had to artificially stimulate it just to keep going.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I understand but are you then asking when the stress and the fight/flight scenario will let up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, My first concern was with the constant pressure on my rectum, and the strange bowel movements... 2, 3, 4, 5, but only little amounts of very loose mucous filled stool. which did not relieve the pressure. sometimes in the middle of the night wake up and do this, and also break into a sweat... then the other symptoms came behind it, and have gradually gotten worse until now it is almost like living with the flu...

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Well, you keep calling it the flu, but I don't think that's what's going on here--wrong symptoms. Have you had a colonoscopy?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I know I don't have the flu, the symptoms I am having mimic the flu, No I have not had a colonoscopy, after my divorce, I had cobra ins for 3 years, it expired, and with my B.P. issues I am unable to obtain affordable health insurance. Are there any colon problems, that in time, will cause one to develope flu like symptoms.... Extreme fatigue, nausea,dry mouth, flushed, etc...

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Actually the other way around, and we can continue after this if I need to add anything else. My thoughts--primarily I think you probably are hypothyroid. That would explain all these symptoms including the bowel problem. Then it could be a low cortisol level, perhaps a vitamin deficiency, and possibly chronic fatigue syndrome. If we go with the bowel problem itself, you do need a colonoscopy if for no other reason as a screen for polyps and cancer, given your age. This could be irritable bowel syndrome or potentially a malabsorption condition also. But I really think that the first place I would look is your thyroid here.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice