Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

My 93 year old mother has recently been released from the hospital

My 93 year old mother has recently been released from the hospital for the treatment of pneumonia. She was treated with antibiotics while in the hospital. She has a congestive heart condition as well. She's complaining now of chest pains. Would the chest pains be associated with the pneumonia (which she's had for about a week), or would this be a heart related chest pain problem?

Can you tell me more about the chest pains? Did she have them while she was in the hospital?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

She was coughing alot. So I would imagine she had associated chest pains as well.

And the chest pain now--where's it located? Does it hurt for her to take a deep breath? Is it constant or just comes and goes?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'd have to find out from her care-giver to be certain. I would say though, that the pain comes and goes and is located in the center of her chest.

OK. A little hard to give you a precise answer here since, at her age, any chest pain has to be considered cardiac until proved otherwise. The chest pain from pneumonia and cough is pleuritic--hurts to take a deep breath and sometimes there's actual tenderness to the chest wall. Cardiac pain is more crushing, long lasting, and usually includes sweating and nausea. The best thing for this is to have her doctor immediately know about it and have him evaluate what the problem is
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your advice.

My pleasure--anytime but please remember to rate my service to you