Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Im 25 and I have a smelly vaginal discharge issue. I tried

I'm 25 and I have a smelly vaginal discharge issue. I tried the 7 day monistat treatment, and it seemed fixed, until a week passed and the smell came back. It resembles salt & vinegar. It's very strong and bitter.

I have celiac disease, which I theorize is caused by a yeast infection I may have had for several years without knowing. I've always had a sort of smell down there, but thought it was normal and mild. There was always some discharge, but again seemed mild enough to not be a sign of a problem.

Sometimes this smell goes away briefly replaced by the old, mild smell I'm used to. But it tends to come back after my period ends. My vagina also feels... different? uncomfortable slightly? like something is just awry down there and my libido is all but completely gone.

I've made a point to wear looser pants and even added skirts and dresses to my wardrobe, but this doesn't seem to help at this point. Thank you for your help.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
What did the discharge look like?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It's sometimes clear, but usually whitish and semi clumpy. but not like 'cottage cheese' as people often say.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
And this was just this one time--we're not talking about the other times?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

? Not sure what you mean. This new, strong vinegar-y smell started happening about 4 months ago. And keeps coming back after my period. (goes away briefly sometimes before the period starts)

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I meant the white discharge happening just this recent time. Can you tell me more about the different vaginal feeling?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The discharge is generally like that all the time.

The vaginal feeling is like it's slightly sensitive to any kind of touch, even toilet paper feels kind of unpleasant. And intercourse sometimes leaves me in a lot of strange pain in my uterus/intestine area. So I generally avoid it. Orgasms also give me a strange discomfort in the uterus/intestine area. Though I don't know if this is because of the celiac disease or something else.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--sorry for all the questions but when was your last pelvic exam and I assume you haven't discussed this with a gynecologist?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have never had a pelvic exam. And I don't have a gynecologist. I have no health insurance, can't afford it. And I know it isn't good.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I understand. Just one more question--your periods are regular and no real problem there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

they've been a bit irregular since i was a young teen. And my version of cramps is this weird intestinal discomfort that I describe as 'feels like they're rotting and falling out'.

hehe so yea probably nothing problematic. Though I have had a lot of unprotected sex with 1 guy for the last 4 years, and have never gotten pregnant.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK As you can imagine from all my questions it's a little hard to put all this into one neat package. Of course, some of this could just be the typical vaginal yeast infections that women get from time to time, celiac disorder or no. As the the smell, while that can be from infections, it can just be a vaginal pH problem and probiotics can help with that. As for the pain on intercourse, you might have a problem with uterine fibroids or endometriosis. Wish I could give you a more specific answer but you really should get a pelvic exam and PAP smear as a standard procedure and to discuss the rest of this with the doctor.Walk in clinics and Health Departments can offer that without it's costing you an arm and a leg.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice