Dr. Anil Kumar
Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience:  M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.
4713694

Just a general question. I heard something just wanted to know

Just a general question. I heard something just wanted to know if it could be true or not. If a blood test can detect how a liver is functioning eg normal or not. Do doctors actually do scans or xrays for the liver? My friend believes his liver may not be working properly and thinks he will get a scan or xray in that area, is that normally done?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil Kumar replied 1 year ago.

Well if liver function test is normal then doctor usually doesn't prefer to undergo further scan for liver.

However if a person feel symptoms like pain abdomen,nausea,vomiting,bloating,loss of appetite,history of alcohol intake and NSAIDS then even with normal liver function test,scan of whole abdomen can be ordered.

So investigations should be advised as per clinical symptoms.

I hope this helps.

Please rate me highly (Star 5 Great Service), if you are satisfied with our conversation.

If you have any further query then feel free to ask.

Bonus and positive feedback are highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience: M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Due to my last working environment I have become conscious of my scent. I cannot smell anything myself nor can my family. Having said that I have lost self confidence and is conscious on this matter. I read online that people who have body odor tend not to smell it on themselves. After reading that and a condition called tmau. I have been conscious getting on buses, trains, confined places. I also look out for people's reactions, try to listen out to hear if people will say i smell or not. So focus on in on people's conversations.

Since i am so conscious and doing the above. Is is possible to mishear what people may be saying as i am so conscious.

Also due to above, i am anxious when out. So my roll on/deodorant is not keeping me dry any suggestions?

Thanks for the follow-up.

Hope you are doing well.

Firstly TMAU(Trimethylaminuria ) also known as fish odor syndrome is a rare metabolic disorder and results in strong fish smell and person himself can smell it.

You can consult a dermatologist for a clinical examination if you feel that your body odor is foul.

And your doctor may advise use of antiperspirants contain aluminium-based compounds and deodorants.

Even as if you have history of constipation so it is also a contributing factor in foul odor.
Take metamucil.
Even avoid alcohol intake, foods such as eggs, legumes, certain meats, fish as well.
Also eat fibre rich diet.
You can try supplements containing activated charcoal and copper chlorophyllin.
Keep yourself hydrated with plenty of fluids .
Also regular change of clothes and using only natural fiber clothes like cotton clothes may helpful.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi

First of tmau, apparently people cannot smell it on themselves which is what made me paranoid. I spoke with the consultant, i dont have primary tmau but during my menustration my levels were slightly higher which my occur for most women. I dont smell anything on myself. I guess i dont understand how u can smell and not be able to smell it. As i keep being told that is possible that is where my self conscious has come from

I am aware of charcoal and products such as body mint.

My question was more related to the mind. If i am preoccupied with all these thoughts can i mistake what i am hearing

Well it can be possible that such self conscious about smells are making you paranoid.

And as you are preoccupied with such smell then yes,you are making thoughts what you are think of hearing.

So it just your social anxiety infront of other people.

And you need to consult a pyschologist for further evaluation and management.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.

Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician