How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Chip Your Own Question
Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 28668
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Chip is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sciatica is really hurting bad and the pain keeps moving

This answer was rated:

My sciatica is really hurting bad and the pain keeps moving from my knee on one leg to the calf of my other and then back to my sciatica . I had an MRI on my knee as that is where the pain started causing it to be swollen and extremely painful, Nothing there. I am taking treatments which seem to help some, what can I do without having to take pain meds all the time and how long should I let this go on before I seek a surgeon for my back?
How long have you had the problem? Do you also have back pain and have you also had an MRI of the back?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have it about 4 weeks no MRI on back but had an xray and showed a slight tilt but nothing bad. no back pain

What kind of treatment are you getting?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am going to chiropractor for thearpy and he did an adjustment today of which it actually made my core feel some relief (my inner self if that makes any sense) Also the sciatica seems to have eased.

Are there any exercises I can do?

Sorry for the questions but what exactly is the most uncomfortable part of your symptoms?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The pain skips around from one leg calf to the other then it will go to the sciatica. Pain about the same in all spots.

OK. You need the MRI of the lumbar spine to see exactly what's going on here. While there could be a disk problem from what you tell me there could be a problem with spinal stenosis--narrowing of the canal the spinal cord runs through. I say this because both legs are involved which is unlikely for just a disk problem. As for seeing a surgeon for this, I would first refer you to a physiatrist--a physical medicine and rehabilitation MD--for a customized treatment program that would likely relieve your symptoms without the need for surgery
Dr. Chip and 2 other Health Specialists are ready to help you