Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

I have muscle soreness for no apparent reason, esp. first thing

I have muscle soreness for no apparent reason, esp. first thing in the morning. I have always been fairly flexible - able to place my palms flat on the floor without bending my knees - but now have trouble touching my toes - still possible but very painful. Suddenly my arms have joined the party making it painful to lift them above shoulder level. I am usually fairly active but had an operation 6 weeks ago and have done a very minimum of heavy lifting / exercise since. I do usually walk at least 5 miles a day, but that is getting harder as the pain in my legs affects my gait. Tried jacuzzi, aspirin, rest, moderate exercise - don't know which way to go. Nothing seems to make much impact.

Lower back pain?

Swelling,redness,stiffness at joints?

Numbness,tingling sensation in legs?

Which joints are involved?

Any other medical history?

Are you taking any medications?

Sincw how long have you been suffering from?

Which operation was done?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Some lower pain. No swelling, redness, stiffness in joints. No numbness, tingling. No medications but I do take supplements - baby aspirin, fish oil, vitamin, glucosamine and resveratrol. Inguinal hernia. Maybe a month since pain started - first in back and legs - maybe 2 weeks for arms.

Thanks for providing more information.

As you describe you need to be seen by an Orthopedist for a clinical examination and undergo CBC,ESR,RA factor,CRP,ANA and X-ray of lumbosacral spine to rule out underlying possible cause which may include Degenerative Arthritic changes,Rheumatoid Arthritis,Polyarthritis.

You shouldn't ignore morning muscle stiffness as it can gradually get worse over the time.

And you may require prescribe medications as per diagnosis.

Physical therapy can be effective.

Also elevate your leg.

Take OTC Motrin for pain relief.

Even avoid prolonged use of fish oil as it can increase the risk of bleeding.

I hope this helps.

Please rate me highly (Star 5 Great Service), if you are satisfied with our conversation.

If you have any further query then feel free to ask.

Bonus and positive feedback are highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Most of your answer seems to be geared toward some type of arthritis - but I don't have any joint pain - only muscle pain. Why the concern about increased bleeding? I know that fishoil is a blood thinner, but is possible internal bleeding causing muscle pain?

Thanks for the follow-up.

Generalised muscle stiffness in early morning can be associated with Myositis(inflammation of your skeletal muscles),Arthritis.

Other possible causes may include Fibromyalgia,muscular over exertion, electrolytes like potassium / magnesium imbalance,diabetes,poor circulation.

And internal bleeding doesn't cause muscle pain.

Avoiding fish oil is a precautionary measure as it is always advised to use it for short period of time.

So you should make an appointment with Orthopedist for a clinical examination for further evaluation and management.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.