Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

My thumb is stiff and painful. I also have a couple of faint

My thumb is stiff and painful. I also have a couple of faint red spots in that area.

Greetings Linda.

Since when is the soreness?

Was there any injury?

Is there redness, swelling, tenderness?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The stiffness and pain started 2 days ago.
I did not injure it. I do have a couple of red spots and swelling near my thumb hand and wrist.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The soreness started 2 days ago.
There was no injury.
There is redness and swelling.
Hello Linda,

All of your symptoms collectively indicate an infection, which may need an antibiotic. So consulting your doctor today would be recommended. Meanwhile you may do cold compresses and take Ibuprofen. Avoid the hand to hang down (keep it slightly elevated as much as possible). The other possibility to consider would be gout or tendonitis. The treatment discussed would help in these too.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.