Dr.Saurabh Joshi
Dr.Saurabh Joshi, Doctor
Experience:  Physician,Neuro and Vascular Interventional Radiologist
8591189

Ok, so I am recovering from a cold virus. I take 3mg Ativan

Ok, so I am recovering from a cold virus. I take 3mg Ativan daily and 300 mg nuerontin every night. Starting yesterday evening, when I would lay on my sides or my back, and take in a medium to full deep breath, my lower right side hurts. Sometimes in my back, and sometimes on my right side. Now I had taken 2 multivitamins, magnesium, vitamin c, and I drank three beers. This sensation has occurred to me in the past, but it doesn't usually last until the second day. When I stand and breath in there is no pain at all. It feels like it may be below my ribcage...sometimes near my spine. I don't have a fever but I did get a little rash on my neck last night when I drank just one gin and tonic. I am wondering if the meds have or are damaging my kidneys..what is causing this pain?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.Saurabh Joshi replied 2 years ago.

It will be a pleasure to try and help with your concerns.

That is a very detailed description of your symptoms, and helps a lot in understanding your issues.

Do you have any pain / burning while passing urine ?

Have you tried any pain medication for this ?

Regards,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No pain when urinatung. Been really thirsty though...I probably have drank close to a gallon. Of water a day rfr last few days. Urine is also not dark...I have been a little backed up...could it have anything to do with indigestion?
Matt,

Thank you for clarifying.

A viral infection can cause muscular spasms and thus the aches.

This seems to be a spasm of the back / abdominal wall / intercostal muscles.

This is unlikely to be from urinary causes or constipation as it is occurs when taking a full breath, like stretching muscles.

You can try applying gentle heat to the area and mild stretching exercises would help too.

I hope this helps you.

Please let me know if you need any clarifications, I would be glad to help.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I forgot to mention I had taken promised rfr last couple days...would that contribute?

This is most probably a muscle spasm from the virus and not likely to be from the medications that you are taking.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
At what point should I begin to worry that I'm not getting over thvirus? Most of the cold symptoms are gone now.
The pain and general run down symptoms can last for about a week to 10 days and should gradually decrease during that time.

If this persists, then you need to be concerned.
Dr.Saurabh Joshi, Doctor
Experience: Physician,Neuro and Vascular Interventional Radiologist
Hi Matt,

How are you doing ?

has the pain reduced /
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for following up. Yes, my Lao. Is gone now. I have a bit of a sinus infection now and during those couple days I had aot of mucous draining and I was blowing my.nose a lot..wonder if maybey kid.eys were not liking it or something. It could have been pulled muscle but I had not done any strenuous lifting. Also, maybe my liver was irritated since I take nuerontin and Ativan, and i had that one drink with gin in it. All i know know.is.there is no pain. I have been drinking lots of water.