Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  25 years of clinical experience

On my fourth strep throat this summer. As soon as I stop antibiotic

On my fourth strep throat this summer. As soon as I stop antibiotic it comes back. Could it be something else?

What are your symptoms now? Did you have throat swab culture? or other test?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Culture came back positive for strep and about 5 days after I stop antibiotic it feels the same again. Super sore and hard to swallow. No fever and no one else in family s getting it
Thank you for the input,

Repeated infections can occur. A throat swab culture with sensitivity testing would be helpful to determine which antibiotic will be most helpful. Sometimes prolonged treatment is required. As there are repeated infections, you can consult an ENT specialist to have a look. He can check the conditions of the tonsil & pharynx.

If you have any query, please feel free to ask and continue conversation by using REPLY button. This will help me to explain further & satisfy you. PLEASE DO NOT RATE MY ANSWER TILL YOU WANT TO KNOW MORE and rate it as EXCELLENT / GOOD SERVICE when you are satisfied.

A few other measures to prevent repeated infections is to change the toothbrush you are using after 2 days of starting antibiotics. You need to search whether there is a carrier among your contacts. Contacts would not have symptoms but can transmit infection.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Has changed toothbrush and no close family are carriers so it's very strange. Also no fever or anything else just the positive strep and pain
Fever may not be present always. There can be pain only. I would suggest to get an examination by an ENT specialist.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Have seen ENT ans he is talking about a Tonsillectomy whitch I would really like to avoid. My body doesn't do well with sx and if there are any complications it seems I always get then. Is there anything else you think there could be done before a tonsillectomy? I also have 3 kids under 5 years so having a tonsillectomy would be really hard. Thanks
Sometimes, long term antibiotic treatment is considered. But this is usually for those having history of rheumatic fever. After a course of antibiotic is finished, you can have a repeat culture to see whether the infection has been eradicated or a further course of antibiotic will be required.