Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

I recently had viral meningitis and have had a few residual

I recently had viral meningitis and have had a few residual side effects. One thing that I am questioning is after my illness, I can no longer stand the taste or smell of coffee...I once loved it and it was my favorite thing about mornings. It has been brought to my attention that this is also an early symptom of pancreatic cancer. I am wondering if brims g's bring this up to my Dr.?

Greetings Carey.

You should discuss this with your doctor, but this is not an early symptom of pancreatic cancer. This is residual symptom of viral meningitis which would gradually resolve spontaneously. Nerves of taste and smell have covering of the meninges and in viral infection the nerve coverings too can be involved. The gradual healing of the covering (usually as rule these heal completely) would recover the taste and smell. You may seek a referral to an ENT specialist. This resolution occasionally may take almost 6-12 weeks. Your doctor may consider giving you steroids if the recovery does not occur in 3 weeks.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking "Continue the Conversation" or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.