Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

My niece, who is 8 years old, is suspected to be having diptheria.

My niece, who is 8 years old, is suspected to be having diptheria. The treatment started at the only hospital which provides cure in New Delhi, India. The culture report is stated to come after a week. When I reached home at 0000 hours (just now) and enquired about her condition, I was told that after the treatment started, her condition turned bad for few minutes where she could not control herself of whatever the pain she suffered and vomited (perhaps due to the intake of medication). Now, i am told that she is resting.

Will it happen in such cases where the medicines react when they were injected initially?

Please tell me that she can get back to her daily routine...
What were her symptoms before she was given the medication?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

fever, cold, shivering from bones..

She was admitted ina private hospital for four days.

The doc there said yesterday evening that, membrane got formed but it didnt enter blood, so asked to shift to the only hospital in New Delhi which provides treatment

OK--the vomiting was most likely from the medication and that kind of reaction is rarely serious and usually doesn't continue beyond the day of the dosing. Also the injectable antibiotic can be very painful at the site of the injection and that can also last for a day or two. Beyond maybe today and tomorrow, there should be no more problem and she should be able to get back to her regular routine.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Actually, at the time they injected ADS, after some time, her condition became so unstable. They had to remove the ADS and then control her condition. I just came to know that she is sleeping till now.

The junior docs told, they will again try to inject ADS. Right now, they are administering antibiotics.

I hope there are chances for the little girl to survive.

The culture report is said to be given by Monday and another one after about 14 days.

The immunization for DPT was given during her childhood, but it is surprising how it came to her :(

I understand. Ir isn't common but even with vaccinations sometimes one can still get the infecitious disease. Usually, diptheria, treated properly and early, is not life threatening and fully curable. From what you've told me I think there's every reason to believe that in time she'll be fine
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you sir,

One doc on rounds said that it takes atleast 6 weeks to say if she is okay. Will that be the case?

Well, if there are complications with her breathing beyond another week or so it may take six weeks for her to fully recover, but in general it should only be at most two more weeks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dear Sir,

The update for today is -

a) The doc who visited in the morning said, she did not find any membrane as her throat is clean and shifted her to a ward which is less infected.

b) The doc with whom I was in touch, when i spoke with him couple of hours back, said, the membrane got dislodged and that it's a good sign. But he said, before coming to any conclusion, let's wait for the Culture Reports which will be available in a week.

c) As of now, all the medicines are administered and they are not injecting anything, apart from giving tablets twice or thrice a day.

We are thinking positive and are trying to generate positive ambiance in the surroundings, while praying to the almighty. So far she has no complained of any problem while eating, or any problem in the breathing. The kid is allergic since childhood, and her nose gets blocked often. She said that she is breathing with the help of her mouth and that there is no problem or suffocation.

That sounds like very good news. Are you feeling relieved?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

With a little bit of tension still, since, I came across some negative minded people in the govt. hospital who, yesterday afternoon, saddened us with their negative approach. They scared the hell out of us that the toxicants will produce some ____ (starts with the word M) which may result in cardiac arrest as it is unpredictable.

This say of theirs is revolving around my head despite trying to think positive. They appeared to be junior members of the team.

Whatever it is Sir, we just need see her back in good condition. Hope the above update is soothing for us.

I told my niece that she should not trouble herself trying to play and instead rest and the more she rests the quicker she gets discharged and that little 8 year old agreed with me.

Was the above update a good sign for recovery Sir?

I think it is a very good sign. The heart problem they mentioned is only a rare complication and you shouldn't worry because she won't have that. I think she'll be just fine in a few more weeks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Great to hear that Sir. You brought joy in my face.

Highly indebted to you.

My great pleasure but please call on me anytime if you have any more medical questions
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Certainly Sir. Certainly.

Btw, am from New Delhi, India

Take care