Dr. Nomi
Dr. Nomi, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Medical Doctor,UK
19472044

Hello and thank you very much for establishing this site! My

Hello and thank you very much for establishing this site! My mother recently found out that she has a rare form of jugular venous distention which puzzled her doctor quite a bit. My sister became enraged at the fact that being her primary care doctor for almost two years, he was unable to detect it. His reasoning being that because of its rarity, its just something that he would not verify. He also alluded to the possibility that this is something she has had for some time and that it may have been caused by some type of trauma. My father was very abusive and choked her often during their marriage, so my question is two fold: 1) Is that a probable cause and 2) What is the likely outcome? Thank you very much!

Hello, She is most likely having 'aneurysm of her jugular vein'.Yes,it is a rare condition.There are several causes behind getting an aneurysm at this site.Some of them are trauma,inflammation,tumor etc.Any trauma to neck can result this .Choking someone is quiet traumatic and can be a reason behind it. Regards