Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.
10798432

I have been experiencing a sharp pain when I inhale. It begins

I have been experiencing a sharp pain when I inhale. It begins on the left side of my neck, radiates down into my chest just above and below my left breast, and into my back around the bottom rear of my rib cage. What is this?
Hi, From your description, this sounds like musculoskeletal pain such as pleuritis or costochondritis. Since the pain is exacerbated by taking a deep breath, heart disease is less likely. But you do need an evaluation soon. You will need an EKG and a chest X-ray. So see your doctor, or an urgent care center soon. If the symptoms are severe, going to the ER would also be appropriate.
Regards.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What is pleuritis and costochondritis? And it's been coming and going...I'll have the pain and then no more for a few days, then it's back again. Last few times I experienced it I noticed I was a little excited (not angry, but in an intense conversation)

Pleuritis is the inflammation of thin tissue covering the lungs. Generally some type of respiratory infection can cause it after the infection is healed. Costochondritis is the inflammation of ribs and cartilage. If above tests are normal, ENT consultation to look inside the throat and airway could be the next step.
Regards.