Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.
11246089

Good morning, My husband recently had a very bad cold/flu

Good morning,

My husband recently had a very bad cold/flu and woke up this morning with a stiff neck and a headache. I am concerned he may have viral or bacterial meningitis. Moreover, I am worried as I am a cancer patient with multiple myeloma. I have leukopenia and neutropenia and due to my compromised immune system, I am concerned I may be at greater risk, if he does have meningitis

What other symptoms should we be watchful of?
Hello and welcome, I am happy to help you today.

Does he have high fever?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He did not mention anything about a hight fever, but he woke up with very little appetite this morni

First possibility considering his symptoms is "viral fever". This is because he has symptoms of cold / flu.

Viral meningitis is commonly associated with high fever, severe headache and sometimes seizures, confusion / disorientation.

You can give him advil (or tyenol) cold and sinus available OTC.

If he has viral fever, it is likely to come down within 48hours and if there is no improvement, you should take him to the ER asap.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Please do not rate my answer if your question is not yet fully answered.You can simply ask further by using REPLY button and I will get back to you.

Please remember to rate me excellent service (or 4 or 3 positive rating)to give credit for my answer and time.We only receive credit for answering your question with a positive rating.Bonuses are warmly appreciated.

If you have any further question, I would be happy to help you.