Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.

I have a constant pain in my back area above my left hip bone,

I have a constant pain in my back area above my left hip bone, it's painful when I walk or sit and just showed up about a week ago. It hurts if I rub against it with my hand like a deep massage move and then hurts (severe ache). I have no injury to it that I know of but do have a lot of trouble sitting up from laying down. I have degenerative osteoarthritis in my knees and shoulders. Could this be the issue?It does not radiate down my leg or anything just is centralized in that area
Arthritis of the hip would be one of the first things to consider for your symptoms, especially since there is no history of injury. An X-ray is usually a good initial test to start with. X-ray will help help evaluate other conditions like hairline fractures, osteoporosis etc. Other possibilities are tendonitis, ligament injury, bursisits etc So talk to your doctor about this. In the meantime, try otc meds such as Aleve, Advil and heat compresses.