Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.
12501846

I have a lump on the left side of my neck near my spine,it

I have a lump on the left side of my neck near my spine,it is causing me a lot of pain.I was in a vehicle accident 8/9/2012 and after a mri I was told there was nothing wrong with me,can you help???
Welcome to JustAnswer!
Thanks for your question. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

How big is that lump? Can you move it around? is that pain located on the lump or in the surrounding area/neck movement? Do you see any skin color change or opening in that area?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

About the 1/4 size of a small egg and yes it moves some, the pain is all around the lump.At times it is hard to move my neck and no change in the skin color.There is some swelling at times but with ice packs I can reduce that,the skin has no openings in that area.

Thank you for the information.
I am sorry to hear about your symptoms.

Based on your description, you seem to have a movable painful lump in your upper back/neck. As per your description, the lump could be a lipoma or cyst. They are usually asymptomatic and no specific treatments are required unless they cause significant pain and discomfort. In general, these are benign condition and does not pose any long term risk. Sine you were already evaluated and investigated with no major concern, you can choose to wait and watch for new symptoms that may require another visit to your doctor. If the size of lump start growing rapidly and you develop pain and fever, visit your doctor for proper evaluation.
If you lump is little bit higher close to neck, then it could be lymph node as well. The good things is that painful mobile lymph nodes are also benign and tends to subside in 4-5 weeks. I think you can watch it for a while,, if it does not subside or remain painful, you can ask your doctor for its removal.

Please let me know if you have any other question for me.