Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I am 41, being treated for prostatitis. Symptoms are: 1)

I am 41, being treated for prostatitis. Symptoms are:
1) Feeling of pain between scrotum and anus (like sitting on a golf ball)
2) Slight burning when urinating (flow is strong and no night time issues)
3) Erectile dysfunction (can't get hard) and when I do ejaculate very weak (no force behind ejaculate...sort of just comes out)
4) Low back pain (some relief with chiropractic adjustment)

Are these normal symptoms of prostatitis? Should I be more worried of prostate cancer? Alergic to Cipro so doctor has me on Amoxicillin 500mg 3x/day for 10 days. On day 6 and only minor relief so far.

How long have you had the symptoms and how exactly was the prostatitis diagnosed?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Symptoms came on rather suddenly. Started August 24. Tests:

1) DRE - Felt normal

2) Urinalysis - some white blood cells

And before 8/24 you've never had any of these problems? Were you having any penile discharge?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Never had any problems like this before...ever.

OK. Yes, your symptoms are typical of prostatitis and with a normal digital exam you don't have to be concerned that they also could be from prostate cancer. Prostate cancer, if it does cause symptoms, doesn't just suddenly appear in a large enough form to cause them this quickly. That said, I personally would have prescribed you Septra DS rather than amoxicillin since there is a reasonable chance that the bacteria causing your infection would be resistant to the amoxicillin. So if you finish the course of the amoxicillin and the symptoms haven't resolved, you should ask your doctor to consider another round of a different antibiotic.