Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S ; M.D (Psychiatry and Deaddiction), MS. Health Informatics
4079050

Hi- I have a general question regarding Wellbutrin. I have

Hi-

I have a general question regarding Wellbutrin. I have tried Lexapro, Prozac, etc. with bad reactions and intolerable side effects. I recently tried Wellbutrin on a 150mg dose, and I feel slightly better but think I may benefit from a higher dosage. I have had no bad side effects except a slight increase in anxiety.

Is there any combination of meds that I can use to diminish my anxiety while still keeping the wellbutrin, or possibly increasing dosage? And also, is my anxiety likely to increase with the increase in dosage? Is the jump from 150 to 300 the lowest jump I can make? Or do they offer anything in between?

Thanks for any info!!
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 1 year ago.

Could you please mention your diagnosis?

Thanks

Vikas
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Vikas-

My diagnoses have ranged from Bipolar to Depression. I have never been seen by a Psychiatrist or Psychologist in this regard, only my general practitioner. It has been difficult to pin down a clinical disorder, as I have no manic episodes whatsoever but very frequent and sometimes very strong mood swings. I have a B.S. in Psychology, but not much experience in diagnosis or pharmacology. (Plus, we tend to misdiagnose ourselves quite often, don't we?!)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Very quickly- please be as detailed as possible, as I know my way around brain chemistry fairly well and would appreciate as much information as possible.

Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 1 year ago.
Hello Chelsea,

Probably you must be knowing that in a patient of Bipolar disorder, antidepressant may further destabilize the mood resulting in manic / hypomanic switching so the first step should be get yourself diagnosed by a psychiatrist.

Have you tried online screening quiz for Bipolar disorder like this one?

Bipolar Screening Quiz

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I have taken such screening tests. However, this was when I was between 15 and 17 years old, nearly ten years ago, and for the most part no longer apply. My mood swings are not manic in nature, but rather bouts of deeper depression and lethargy and may be correlated with my menstrual cycle, though I haven't documented in enough detail to be sure. I do not exhibit these types of bipolar symptoms now that I am out of puberty.

Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 1 year ago.
O.K Chelsea, thanks for your reply.

Wellbutrin is an activating antidepressant which is specially useful in depressive patients complaining of fatigue, lack of energy, poor concentration, lack of motivation etc. The normal daily dose is from 150 -450 mg per day (XL preparation) and you are currently on 150 mg per day so an increase in the dose by your doctor to 300 mg per day should be useful as most patients find 300 mg per day as the appropriated dose sufficient enough to control depressive symptoms.

Wellbutrin is not much useful for anxiety symptoms and it an increase in the dose of Wellbutrin will have no effect on your current anxiety symptoms.

For controlling these anxiety symptoms, you can ask your doctor to prescribe you a low dose of benzodiazepines such as Klonopin .25 / .5 mg to be taken on either daily or on as and when needed basis. Klonopin is a long acting benzodiazepine which can effectively control your anxiety symptoms. After 4-6 weeks, your doctor can try to stop Klonopin or continue it as and when needed basis.

Another good option is to ask your doctor to add a low dose of SSRI antidepressant Lexapro (Escitalopram) 5 mg per day initially. Lexapro is itself a very effective antianxiety and antidepressant medicine and will also augment the antidepressant effect of Bupropion. At such a low dose of 5 mg there are no or minimal chances of developing side effects.

We frequently prescribe Bupropion with Escitalopram in combination to many of our patients with excellent results.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards

Vikas

Please do not rate my answer if your question is not yet fully answered.You can simply ask further by using REPLY button and I will get back to you.If you are satisfied with my answer please rate one of the positive ratings (3,4,5) as this is the only way how we are compensated for our time and expertise.

Dr. Vikas, Doctor (MD)
Experience: M.B.B.S ; M.D (Psychiatry and Deaddiction), MS. Health Informatics