On Call MD
On Call MD, MD
Experience:  US Board certified Physician
60998453

Can someone in Renal failure regain some function back once

Can someone in Renal failure regain some function back once on dialysis?
Hello
It is my pleasure to help you today
depending on the cause of the renal failure if it was acute and he has to be put on dialysis they usually improves after few setting if it was chronic chances are much less and dialysis would have to be continued

I Hope you get better soon

Any other questions let me know
if I was able to help you your (EXCELLENT) rating is very important to me so I would get compensated for my time and answer,Bonuses are not expected but are welcomed if you are well satisfied
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is my Brother in law and he has had diabetes for 25 years and has been stage 3 renal failure for about 15 years and suddenly went into pulmonary edema and had cardiac ischemic changes on his EKG. Initial blood work when rushed to the ED showed an increase in his BUN and Cr (116 & 7) and was given lots of lasix to diurese. After this he has progressively got much worse (renal: 147 & 12). Dialysis was finially started yesterday (hemodialysis). Just wondered if he could get anything back.
it is too early to say since he just started on dialysis but from my clinical experience unfortunately with this history the dialysis would be the most effective way to go especially with 25 years of diabetes damage to the kidney
I Hope he gets better soon

Any other questions let me know