Dr. Jerry E
Dr. Jerry E, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience:  1 yr experience family medicine (adult and children), emergency medicine for five years

For about a year or so I was in a state of hyperthyroidism.

For about a year or so I was in a state of hyperthyroidism. during that time my short term memory became very bad. My Thyroid tests has been normal now for about 4 months. But my short term memory is still very bad. Also, still have a fine (non-parkinsonian) tremor, and EXTREMELY restless limbs.

My Endo reffered me to a Neurologist It seems the question he was asking were geared toward Alzheimers. I am 50, would this be the age when early stage alzheimers would start to show, OR DOES MY BODY NEED MORE time TO RECOVER FROM THE HYPERthyroidsm.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Jerry E replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr. E. Greetings from New York! I'm so glad you posted your question for me to answer, and I aim to provide you with accurate info

Although it is uncommon, at 50, Alzheimer's can start producing symptoms. Was it your endocrinologist asking the alarming questions or the neurologist you were referred to. Have you already seen the neurologist? If so, what tests were performed during the visit, if any? And what were the results?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I had the first visit with the Neurologist. He asked a lot of questions about short-term memory. I am a psychologist so maybe I know to much for my own good, but that is why I could tell he was heading for alheimers. He ordered an EEG, MRI, and a neuropsychology battery.

My thyroid blood tests has been in the normal range for 4 months, so should not the hyperthyroid symptoms that are similar to alzheimers gone away by now.

It may take a little longer than 4 months for your psychological symptoms to fade after hyperthyroidism.

Do you have the results back from the Neurologist yet?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

In the next 2 weeks, i will have the EEG, MRI, and a sleep study. it takes 6-8 weeks to get into to see a neuro-psychologist where I live, so thats all I have for now.

Okay, well to answer your original question- I would suggest you give your body a few more months to adjust to having a thyroid that is functioning normally before you rule out that being the cause of your memory loss.

You could have the early onset of Alzheimer's, but as previously mentioned, it is unlikely.

Do you have any other questions for me? If not, Please click on ACCEPT so that I get answer credit.
Dr. Jerry E, Doctor (MD/DO)
Experience: 1 yr experience family medicine (adult and children), emergency medicine for five years