Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.
11246089

My left hand is sore, swollen red and warm to touch. it hurts

Customer Question

My left hand is sore, swollen red and warm to touch. it hurts to put my hand in a ball/fist. I have done 20 minutes ice on and off and also benedryl. those have not worked. I was wondering what could possibly be the issue. we were sitting outside last night but I dont think I got stung by anything. I was wondering what could be the issue
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome, I am happy to help you today.

Is the entire hand swollen or just the joints?

Is the hand itchy and painful?

Was the swelling sudden?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

it happened last night like i said and id say the swelling happened at once and you cannot see my last 2 knuckles on my left hand. my right hand obviously isnt swollen and you can see my veins and knuckles etc by my left hand you cannot. it hurts to hold things or put my hand in a ball fist. if you push or press on the top of my hand it hurts all of my hand to my middle finger. my index and thumb arnt swollen and arnt sore. my hand is red sore kinda itchy swollen and warm

This looks like severe allergic / contact dermatitis.

You should see your GP or go to the ER. You will need a steroid shot to bring down the acute inflammation and swelling.

Benadryl is not helping, so you need to take something stronger like claritin.(non sedative / non drowsy).It is OTC , so you will get it in a nearby drug store.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Please do not rate my answer if your question is not yet fully answered.You can simply ask further by using REPLY button and I will get back to you.

Please remember to rate me excellent service (or 4 or 3 positive rating)to give credit for my answer and time.We only receive credit for answering your question with a positive rating.Bonuses are warmly appreciated.

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

If not,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can allergic dermatitis cause my
Joints or muscles to be sore? Like I sid its swollen sore red warm and if you press on my hand it hurts I have been doing ice Hirt s enough I can't sleep. Not like er pain but it hurts/my skin pulls/ feels
Tight when I try and make ball
Or fist
Yes. The allergic dermatitis can be from anything like contact with some unknown chemical from a plant / shrub, or insect bite or almost anything.

The cause has to be something local, so your other hand is normal.

I hope my answer has helped you.

I hope my answer has helped you.

I hope my answer has helped you.