Nurse72
Nurse72, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN 20 years in health care. Available to answer your health questions
62535071

I have notived small amounts of what appears to be blood on

I have notived small amounts of what appears to be blood on my toilet tissue for a few months now and have thought nothing of it. I became more curious lately and started looking up the causes and I have now managed to freak myself out over it. The bright red small blood spots only occur from time to time and only on the toilet tissue. I have never noticed a large amount or blood in the toilet bowl water. What could be the cause of this?

Nurse72 :

Is this only after having a bowel movement?

Nurse72 :

Are your stools of normal color and consistency?

Nurse72 :

At your age it's more than likely caused by either a hemorrhoid, internal polyp or tearing of the skin around the anus from straining to have a BM. The less likely cause would be malignancy or chronic inflammation of the bowel. Either way it should be evaluated by a Gastroenterologist

Customer:

Only after bowel movement yes, and the stools appears normal color and consistency.

Nurse72 :

Those are all good signs

Customer:

Im a huge hypochondriac. All my friends know it and my doctor knows this as well. All I see when I read through possible causes is colon cancer.

Nurse72 :

It's more than likely one of the first problems I mentioned which are all benign non serious problems. You should still have it evaluated to be sure

Nurse72 :

Google is a hypochondriacs worst enemy!!!!!!!

Nurse72 :

Please don't google symptoms, it's going to stress you out

Nurse72 :

you need a logical opinion of a human professional

Customer:

I mean, I have noticed this for quite awhile. A few months may be a very low guess. I just never really thought anything of it until I got curious.

Nurse72 :

i'm sure it's nothing serious but since I can't examine you I have to advise that you have it checked out to be sure

Customer:

i will call my doctor during the week. you believe it is most likely nothing serious and something the doctor can fix so i can go about my everyday life?

Nurse72 :

Yes I do

Customer:

if it all adds to this, i did have to have a colonoscopy 2 or 3 years ago due to an inflammed colon but nothing ever came from it. i just had it and all was

well to my knowledge.

Nurse72 :

That's good news. Still follow up

Customer:

i definitely will. thank you very much. i feel a bit more relaxed about everything now.

Nurse72 :

You're welcome

Nurse72 :

Best wishes : )