Louise Sivak, M.D.
Louise Sivak, M.D., Pediatrician
Experience:  Pediatrician

Gday from Au.! I have been diagnosed with CMML-1. Platelets

G'day from Au.! I have been diagnosed with CMML-1. Platelets down to 14. White Cells 22.2; Neutrophils 16;
Monocytes 3.9; Haemoglobin 107. Have also chronic sinusitis which shows dark brown stuff from back of nose each early morning. Mastoid and ethmoid involved. 2x CT confirmed this. Have been on Cyclokapron for months (2x2 each day)
Had once platelets transfusion, which instantly increased from 11 to 50. Two days later to 32, few days later on 16.
I am too old for chemo (am an active 84 year old).
Have you any other suggestions I could ask my oncologist?

Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected. I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Welcome to Justanswer

I would be pleased to answer your question ! If for any reason you see me offline . Do not worry . I would be surely be answering your question till you are satisfied with my response .

Has the dark brown stuff been checked any time for fungal profile?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes I am willing to wait a day or two, Having read some of your answers about "low platelets" I did not think that this would be too difficult for you.

Hello, I am sorry for your diagnosis. Unfortunately there is no way to boost your platelet count other than by transfusion of platelets. Your oncologist may think you would not tolerate higher dose chemo, but I would ask him/her about low dose cytoxan or other medication IF it will potentially help. See (American Cancer Society) which has links to detailed info about each type of cancer, also (Leukemia and Lymphoma Society) about blood related cancers for more detailed info. Best of luck, please post back if you have more questions.
Louise Sivak, M.D., Pediatrician
Experience: Pediatrician
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you! I am fully aware of the serousness of CMML and I just wanted to make sure I have not missed out on anything.

Regards and blessings,

You are welcome and best of luck to you!