Nurse72
Nurse72, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  RN 20 years in health care. Available to answer your health questions
62535071

I was diagnosed with orbital cellulitis from a bug bite last

I was diagnosed with orbital cellulitis from a bug bite last Sunday. (I am a 55 yr old female.) I took cephalexin for a day and a half, was not hospitalized, and being the stupid jerk I am, I felt better and stopped taking the med. On Wednesday night I became ill again, feeling the 'general malaise' that's listed on symptoms. I feel terrible. I'm back on 2000 mg a day of the cephalexin, but should I go to the emergency room and be admitted? Is this potentially fatal?

Nurse72 :

This isn't a fatal condition, You shouldn't worry about that. However, you need to complete a full course of antibiotic or it could come back. You need a new prescription. Go ahead and start the bottle you have left over and call your doctor for a refill on Tuesday. If you have fevers or foul smelling, yellow/green discharge you need to be seen right away

Nurse72 :

If left untreated it could have potential to spread through the blood stream and cause further complications. Make sure you complete a full course of antibiotics.

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX started taking the cepha. again Thursday morning. I was just concerned that it could be potentially fatal. Thanks again. (At least I made it through the Bruce Springsteen concert on Wednesday night!)

Thanks for your help.

Nurse72 :

You're welcome, hope you feel better soon : )