Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

My ex-girlfriend ended up telling me that she had genital herpes.

Customer Question

My ex-girlfriend ended up telling me that she had genital herpes. I thought I saw an initial outbreak in May of 2011. I ended up getting tested the IgG test in March of 2012 and again in June 2012 and both came back negative. I also have not had anything show up in the genital area since the first thing I saw. Should I be in the clear after waiting so long and the tests coming back negative?
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 2 years ago.

Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

If you have had two blood tests for genital herpes (HSV 2) and this was negative times two then you would appear to be negative.

Anthony Bray MD :

Perhaps the initial outbreak that you felt that you had was perhaps something else.....

Anthony Bray MD :

An initial outbreak of genital herpes would be expected to first appear as red bumps (papules) and then develop into blisters and finally ulcers (sores) before healing. This condition is quite painful or sore especially at the ulcer stage....

Anthony Bray MD :

About 80 to 90% of adults have the cold sore version of herpes or HSV 1. It is possible to have this virus infect the genital region as well but it is mostly the oral sold sores for this one...

Anthony Bray MD :

About 20% of adults have the HSV 2 virus

Anthony Bray MD :

If you should have a question of an outbreak at any point in the future then I would recommend that you have your doctor evaluate it at that time when it is active.

Anthony Bray MD :

Hopefully you will having nothing further and so have nothing to worry about!

Anthony Bray MD :

I hope this information helps! If you have further questions then let me know and I will be happy to get back with you!

Anthony Bray MD :

If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback. That would be very much appreciated!! Thank You and Best Regards!

Anthony Bray MD :

Anthony Bray MD

Customer :

From what you said about the initial outbreak, it looked like what people describe it as. It was tiny sores and looked like blisters in a small portion but waited so long to get tested. I was just nervous. I finally got tested about 13 months after what I thought was the initial outbreak and came back negative twice. I just met someone new and am nervous to start anything physical even though I have tested negative.

Customer :

Also, the pain I had was no sore, it just itched a lot but was also very tender, if that helps at all

Customer :

Also, isn't the usual time for IgG to show in blood usually from a few weeks, to few months?

Anthony Bray MD :

Hello again,

Anthony Bray MD :

The IgG test should turn positive within a few weeks. So the time scale would not be an issue in your case.

Anthony Bray MD :

The IgM does turn positive sooner BUT the IgM does not saty positive. If you had an HSV 2 outbreak then I would expect the IgG test that you had to be positive.

Anthony Bray MD :

It sounds to me that you should be OK!

Anthony Bray MD :

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions!

Anthony Bray MD :

Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD :

Anthony Bray MD