Robert Fernando
Robert Fernando, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, Experienced Family Physician
8493425

hello I wake up with bad cramps in my left leg sometime from

hello I wake up with bad cramps in my left leg sometime from quads on down this has happened about 14 time in a year I not that active any more except for work which I'm on my feet for 19 to 16 hrs a day what could cause such pain in that group of muscles
Welcome to justanswer.com and thank you for your question.This is Dr. Robert, I'm so sorry to hear of your discomfort.
I am going to assist you with your question. First I need a little more information-

Have you noticed discoloration or swelling in left leg?
Do you get cramps in leg at night?
Do you have to stand throughout the day?
Do you have any other medical issue?
Are you taking any pills?
Have you undergone any medical investigations?

Kind Regards,
Dr. Robert

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no swelling or discoloration no issues except cholesterol is high no drugs ,it hasn't happened in awhile but I get awaken by the pain and discomfort i can't stretch my leg out until the pain hits peak then i try to massage it ti stand up last for about 1min at a time until i can wake up and stand yes I'm in a deep sleep when the cramp starts

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
,

Dear Customer, Thanks for providing the additional information.
I understand your stressful condition.There are different medical conditions for such symptoms, Possible causes are-

-Imbalance of electrolyte levels in body
-Thyroid disorder- Hypothyroidism
-Peripheral artery disease
-Blood clot or varicose veins( though it doesn't looks to be)
-Kidney disease
-Diabetes.

To make a diagnose, you need to undergo few tests which includes-
Complete blood count, Blood sugar test, Thyroid hormone test, Kidney function test. Also sodium, potassium, and calcium levels in blood should be checked.
You should also get Doppler ultrasound exam of affected limb.

You should use a cold pack to relax tense muscles, and this will help in cramps. After this use a warm towel or heating pad later if you have pain or tenderness, you can take a hot bath.

Also massaging the cramped muscle will help in solving the problem.
You should gently stretch your leg and move your foot towards your knee, until you feel the calf muscles stretch.This will relax your leg muscles.

Also you should formulate an exercise routine and ensure that you build on it gradually.You should avoid alcohol, coffee,tobacco.
Please make an appointment with your healthcare provider for evaluation and get it managed.

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.
It’s my goal to provide you with EXCELLENT SERVICE.
Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback.
Thank you