Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice

Help me!!!! I went to the er again for chest pain, still here

Help me!!!! I went to the er again for chest pain, still here and my qtc was 453:((( so scared again that i have lqts. And they have an automated qt/qtc on their monitors and it is about 460-465
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Hi--that is only a mildly prolonged QTc and it doesn't mean much of anything. You caught me just as I was leaving so let's talk about this this evening when I get back--I'll post to you just as soon as I can get back on line.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok yeah they have a monitor and it reads a constant qtc (not on ekg) amd it was reading anywhere from 455-470:(. They did 2 ekgs and he calculated it by hand and it was 438/426 1st and 2nd time. Why is the monitor that is always on Me showing much higher than ekg?? Sooo scared - i dont want to have long qt syndrome. Is there a way to post pictures of my ekg
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I had to be away--let me know when you're back on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Back on
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
So your QTC on the EKG's was normal?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
438 on one and 426 on another. On the continuous monitor it would show 450-469... But then 12 lead would show differently.:( i even badgered the on call cardio for my group- and asked
Him to look at them and call me. He said he would but he hasnt yet. Ive had increasing panic abt this. Is there a way to take a pic and send u a copy of the ekgs??:(((((
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
You could scan them and then either post them on this page or at Photobucket or Imageshack and give me the link.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How would i do that
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a scanner on your computer? Or you could take a photo and download it. Sorry, but I'm not very computer literate.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I created an acct at photobucket: username is nursejackie78
Passwors is november03

I dont mind putting this out there bc i dont care who sees it. Can u look at my acct under my albums. There ekgs are the only pics there
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Give me a sec
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--got them. So what exactly is your concern on these tracings?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On the monitor - they had a qt qtc reading, and it kept reading qtc 450-469:(((. Do my qt/qtc look a little prolonged on these? I am so scared of having lqts - and of course i still have chest pain
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Your EKG looks perfectly normal to me--no T wave changes, no ST elevation or depression, no PAC's or PVC's, and a normal QT interval. And the monitor is not as accurate as the on paper EKG.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The monitor could be that 'off?' it doesnt even look a little prolonged? Did you see all three of them? And you did emergency medicine so you must be good... Still have chest pain too:( and the doctor said i wm going to give myself a stress heart attack- does he mean now or later??
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes the monitor can be that off and yes I saw all the tracings and no the QT isn't prolonged. Was he serious about the stress heart attack thing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dunno. It was a cardiologist that i have never seen - i called. That scares me too. Why does my left chest hurt so much and why have the monitors if they are that off??? :((( do you think there is any remote possibility i have lqts??
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
I don't think you have a lqts problem and, even if you had, that would mean palpitations or SVT but not chest pain per se. Tell me one more time about the chest pain--your most recent episode.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lqts=torsades, or other crazy arrythmias. You def dont think i have lqts??
Chest pain on left side sharp around breast and neck area, sometimes down arm. 2 troponins 0.01 today (neg) and neg d dimer and neg stress test last week. My out of control
Fear continues to be that of cardoac arrest
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
And remind me--you've had an MRI of the neck and thoracic spine? No, I don't see any indication that you have lqts. And the point I was trying to make before is, even if you did, that wouldn't cause chest pain and arm pain.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right . But that is still my biggest fear- so ....? No mri of t spine. Just mri/mra of head and neck after vision problems....
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
But why is it still your fear after both I and at least one cardiologist have told you you don't have a prolonged QT and there's been no evidence of anything resembling torsades on your EKG's?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Because that freaking monitor kept showing 469 qtc:(, and i have an awful fear of cardiac arrest: i dont understand why it wont go away:/ i just read on stress and heart attacks. Yikes
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Don't Google anything related to the heart until I give you permission to do so. And can't you see that this time around this is classic obsessive/compulsive/health anxiety syndrome in you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, in some ways. And in others - i am scared that its lqts or some heart condition, or a premonition;(((( no more googling? Sigh, i am a mess, and the cardio that said he would call me tonight hasnt;(
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
So how are we going to treat this OCD problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need a good counselor apparently. Ive seen one since my accident, and she told me this week that she might have to stop seeing me bc i seem to be getting worseūüė°
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
As in she felt she wasn't the proper counselor for your particular problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She said i am not working hard enough to be ok. Because i was doing good after being anxious after my accident and face and lung sx, then started to really freak out again when they hospitalized me for long qt after giving me zofran. I keep getting ekg after ekg and am so frightened because the thing i have always feared, they hospitalized me for. And then the primary md office calling me and telling me to go get stress echo. Do you live in california?
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, no, I'm about 2500 miles from CA. What kind of therapy was your therapist using and was medication ever considered?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Talk therapy (for the third time - hehe, i am beginning to think you dont remember me) :) and after my accident i was put on ativan and lexapro and was still on just 3 mg of lexapro and now .5 of klonopin... I hate it bc ive never been on meds. Not sure its doing much anyway. I called psychiatrist today and he wants to put me on neurontin too and i am always soo dizzy all of the time... I dont want to. Is the dizziness part of the anxiety??
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Sorry--forgot about the meds, but I'd have to have scrolled back over our past conversations to have caught that. But talk therapy as in real cognitive behavioral therapy? And, yes, dizziness can be part of anxiety and hyperventilation that goes with it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No i dont think she really does that a lot. She does have me do thought records, but it seems kind of redundant. What are other examples of it??
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.

Does sound like you need a therapist skilled in CBT which is specifically designed for your OCD problem. Let's close for tonight but we can talk more tomorrow. In the meantime, here's a link about CBT

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cognitive-behavioral-therapy/MY00194

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Ughhh and i just looked up womens heart attack symptoms. Ughhh
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Told you not to do that--naughty naughty but goes along with what OCD makes you do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just still having the indigestion, cp, oh and of course i just had a pac or pvc. Ive had quite a few of those today. Scary??? Lqts !??!!! Ahhhhh?!
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Stop it--not lqts and stay off the internet medically until we talk again tomorrow.
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice