On Call MD
On Call MD, MD
Experience:  US Board certified Physician

I had my period for 12 days. The first day of last period was

I had my period for 12 days. The first day of last period was August 12. What's going on with me? Before that I didn't have a period for a whole year.
It is my pleasure to help you today
this prolonged period that you have which we call menorrhagia can be caused by several causes including uterine fibroids,thyroid problem,bleeding disorder,ovarian cyst,infection,glandular issue or just dysfunctional bleeding
you need to run some tests by your gynecologist including pregnancy test,ultrasound of uterus and ovary,hormone levels and thyroid function test
the right treatment will depend on the findings of these tests

I Hope you get better soon

Any other questions let me know
if I was able to help you your (EXCELLENT) rating is very important to me so I would get compensated for my time and answer
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do you think that the depo provera shot has anything to do with it? I only took one shot.
thank you for sharing this information that you took depo provera
In fact it is very common with depoprovera to have irregular cycles and prolonged bleeding like yours
it is rarely worrisome and expected to happen even with one shot
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok. So should I still go for a check up or should I should wait and see what happens? Do you think this can lower my progesterone, and can affect me from becoming pregnant?
you can just wait and see as this is very common with it unless you have pain or severe uncontrolled bleeding
usually depo provera takes between 6-8 months to clear from the body and women usually takes between 6-18 months to get pregnant after it.. every body is different and some women may conceive earlier than others