Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

I did a hiv 1 test dna 21 days after the risk and it was negative.

I did a hiv 1 test dna 21 days after the risk and it was negative. How accurate is this test 21 days after? Im having stomach ache and wollen nodes, a little bit of flu, i fell i have faringitis too. Can hiv show symtoms if my pcr test was negative? can flu medication affect my pcr results?

While the test is accurate if positive 21 days post exposure, if negative it means that you need another screen 90 days post exposure to allow for the window of seroconversion. It is possible to have the flu-like symptoms of early HIV infection with a negative test but in this case I think you probably do just have the flu and that you just need the retesting in about two months to confirm that you are truly HIV negative.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I know i need to re test 3 months later but ive heard pcr test is very sensitive and have very high chances of false positive. Sincerely, XXXXX XXXXX the chance somebody be negative 21 days after (no hiv virus found in the blood) to become positive 3 months later?

Sorry--can you repeat what you said about the test being very sensitive but with a high chance of being false positive?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok, ive heard pcr test it is not recomended cause have very high chance of result hiv positive because is very sensitive. So ive read if you are found positive it is a very indicator of your status. but still we need to re test 3 month later.

My question is Do i have a high percentage to become hiv positive after a pcr test 21 days later with a elisa test? if you dont know it is ok.

Ive heard the windows for pcr is 3 to 4 weeks.

Im sorry for my short english.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

im sorry I mean:

ok, ive heard pcr test it is not recomended cause have very high chance of result hiv NEGATIVE because is very sensitive. So ive read if you are found positive it is a very indicator of your status. but still we need to re test 3 month later.

OK. The PCR test, if negative, is very accurate in the sense that it is a true negative and not a false negative. The chances are very good that your test was a true negative and that the confirmatory ELISA/Western blot test in three months will also be negative.