Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.
11246089

My mother is in the hospital.

My mother is in the hospital. They just told me she had encephalopathy and an inflammed pancreas. I am not sure what happened but when she went in she didn't know me or where she was. She was talking to my dead father. Now two days later she knows me and is talking fine. What happened?

Hello and welcome, I am happy to help you today.

Encephalopathy affects the conscious state of the brain ad so she could not identify you and was not able to discern the reality.

This encepalopathy may have been a result of the inflamed pancreas causing metabolic derangement.

She should be under active observation for her vitals and also get her blood electrolytes like sodium , potassium , chloride, magnesium levels checked.

I hope my answer has helped you.

Please do not rate my answer if your question is not yet fully answered.You can simply ask further by using REPLY button and I will get back to you.

Please remember to rate me excellent service (or 4 or 3 positive rating)to give credit for my answer and time.We only receive credit for answering your question with a positive rating.Bonuses are warmly appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

she has been a heavy drinker for 30 years do you think if her panceas is inflammed it is cancer

The pancreas is likely to be inflamed due to the heavy drinking but if you want to exclude cancer, you should ask your doctors to get a CT scan of the pancreas (abdomen).

Inflamed pancreas is treatable with medicine and other conservative measures.

I hope my answer has helped you.