DrThomasMD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Practice Director

I have been taking Xanax .05 mg per day for 6 weeks for axiety.I

I have been taking Xanax .05 mg per day for 6 weeks for axiety.I have also been of Effexor XR 75 mg for the past 5 yrs for depression. For weeks I experience trouble crashing symptoms. Therefore, doctor switched me to valium. Doctor says I should not have any problem switching from Xanax 0.5 mg Valium 5 mg per day, I am still having some withdrawal symptoms from taking the 1/2 of 0.5 mg of Xanax in the morning and 1/2 of 0.5 mg at night. I think if I taper off of the Xanax and at the Valium I would feel better. Can you tell me how to taper off from taking 1/2 of 0.5 mg of Xanax in the morning and 1/2 of 0.5 mg at night, by adding in the 5mg of Valium daily? Thanks for your help.
Hello from JA
That has to be set up by your doctor
We can not manage your medical care for you especially since each doctor will do this differently and it has to be individualized to the patient.
Why aren't you following your doctor's directions and getting back to your doctor about these concerns?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for not answering my question. You just took my $18 for this type of response?????

I have not given you an answer
I asked you what was the problem with the doctors taper..why don't you want to do this
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry.....Dr did not give me a taper schedule. He told me it shouldn't be a problem switching for xanax to valium. However, it is affecting me. That is why I asked about it to you in detail. See my email again.Thanks

Again you need to talk with your doctor.
Tapers are individualized to the patient.
If you are swtiching to valium you don't need the xanax in most cases.
They you taper the valium.
Xanax on the other hand could go to one dose a day, then every other day, then off
5 mg of valium is almost nothing.
This could go to once a day, once every other day, then off.

Let me know if you have further questions. Just use reply if you are not done.

Please rate one of the positive ratings: the only way we are compensated for time and expertise. If you are not done or satisfied, use reply to expert [not poor/negative]. Come back anytime. Bonuses are great…but your satisfaction is my goal.

Future questions? Ask for DrThomas in the question title or see my profile to request me. Save my profile to your browser favorites