DrRussMD, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Practice Director
24257177

My nephew 46, was a hard working individual up until about

My nephew 46, was a hard working individual up until about 7 years ago. He changed his job, and since that move he has lost at least 5other jobs. he is currently unemployed, lost his home and acts like he doesn't have a care in the world. He is alouf, non caring, especially about his daughter. He shuts down and won't discuss anything, A therapist is definitely out of the question and he lies about things. This is not the person I have known, but things seem to be getting worse and worse and he doesn't acknowledge any of it. I was wondering if he could have had a breakdown or is suffering from schizophrenia. Everyone has thought he is just down on his luck, but I think it is really serious. Do I have reason for concern and can you direct me in help. He has no money.
Hello from JA
Does he want any help?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I would say he is completely in denial there is a problem. Maybe though if you say there may be a mental condition causing this, we may be able to talk him into seeking help.

Many different possibilities
Personality disorder
OCD
Bi poplar
Depression
Skizoaffective disorder

It takes an exam and interview to see.

If he is in denial this can be very typical of personality disorder, also substance abuse and bi-polar.

Of course he could probably use help just based on the description you have give.
He also needs a complete medical assessment.

That could start at neighborhood clinics..the health department should know where these are and they are on sliding scale typically.

Let me know if you have further questions. Just use reply if you are not done.

Please rate one of the positive ratings: the only way we are compensated for time and expertise. If you are not done or satisfied, use reply to expert [not poor/negative]. Come back anytime. Bonuses are great…but your satisfaction is my goal.

Future questions? Ask for DrThomas in the question title or see my profile to request me. Save my profile to your browser favorites http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There is no substance abuse. I know that. Please advise what a complete medical assessment will tell.

Complete medical assessment is going to be required..rule out thyroid disease, just as one example, or B12 deficiency.

Profound thyroid imbalance can cause some of these symptoms as well.

So the assessment is not just psychiatric.