Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate
18703594

I was in Yosemite hiking around curry village may 17th .Returned

I was in Yosemite hiking around curry village may 17th .Returned home to ri came down with( 6/27/12) what doctors think was Human Granlocyte Anaplasmosis.They also found Parox.Artirial flutter with ekg.I was given doxicyline and the fever and sickness seemed to clear up.I know have the flutter on and off and a pain when I take a deep breath.Do you think there is any concern for contracting the Huntivitus see any
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 2 years ago.

Dr. Owen :

Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.

Dr. Owen :

Were you exposed possibly to any rodent urine?

Dr. Owen :

And, were you camping in Yosemite

Dr. Owen :

how many days were you in Yosemite - was it 10?

Customer:

I was hiking from a parking lot to venal falls in the curry village area but do not believe I was near any rodent droppings.I camped in a set up tent at evergreen lodge about 10 miles outside the park again I don't think I was around rodent droppings because of bear problems food is locked up and resricted.I was in yosemite two days.

Dr. Owen :

Oh

Dr. Owen :

well Hantavirus although located in the area is a very Low Likelihood

Dr. Owen :

Usually the area to get hanta is in much drier areas than Yosemite

Dr. Owen :

We usually see this more in the Southwest - such as the deserts

Dr. Owen :

I do think given you have Atrial flutter - you do need to get this evaluated by a Cardiologist as soon as you can

Dr. Owen :

Hantavirus usually is an illness that would make people very sick - and having seen this in even in young 'military' service people - they do get very sick - and most need hospitalizations - so, for you given you are 62, and given the symptoms you are describing, I would say it would be very Unlikely for you to have gotten hantavirus

Dr. Owen :

I hope this helps

Dr. Owen :

If you have more questions, please ask

Dr. Owen :

If no more questions, please click on EXCELLENT Service

Dr. Owen :

thank you

Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate