Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

I am a pimple? On my virgina which I burst and yellowpus came

Customer Question

I am a pimple? On my virgina which I burst and yellowpus came out like a pimple. I also have itching inb that area. Im sooo scared I have herpes..
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 1 year ago.

Is the bump located in an area where you also have hair?
Is there just one bump or more than one?
Did your doctor do any testing for herpes?
Have you been exposed to herpes that you are aware of?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No there is no hair ,only 1 pimple,it didnt hurt when I squeezed it, I am been tested for herpes he said he test all spots, no not that I know of I,havnt been exposed to herpes.

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 1 year ago.
Sandra,

I know that this is a highly stressful situation. Whenever a bump appears in the vaginal area, the worst case scenario often comes to mind (such as herpes).
While there is always the possibility that this is herpes, from your description, the likelihood of it being that type of infection is low.
This is not how herpes presents...herpes causes blister like lesions (the blister stage usually does not last long and it is not filled with pus) that then becomes an ulcer.

This sounds much more like a boil/infected cyst. These can also occur in the vaginal area.
If it occurs in the area indicated on the picture (please click the link below), then it is a a bartholin gland cyst which can become infected.

http://www.mdguidelines.com/images/Illustrations/bar_gl_c.jpg

Again, herpes does not cause pus filled pimples..it causes blister like sores that then become ulcers.

Please feel free to ask any follow up questions, Sandra. It is important to me that you have all of your questions answered and that you are happy with my help.

Dr Abby

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what about,the itching? I have recently had a tummy tuck and breast lift could it be stress. I havnt been able to have a shower until recently and have just been washing . Also I did have sex without a condom he didnt ejaculate inside me.

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 1 year ago.
Are you having any vaginal discharge?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes but not abnormally high really,actually feel abit dry
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 1 year ago.
The itching could be due to many things...
Yeast infection, bacterial vaginosis (which is an overgrowth of bacteria in the vaginal area--usually this will cause a fishy odor), change in hygiene, reaction to soaps or detergents (especially if you are using perfumed soaps, dryer sheets)...

Hopefully your physician did vaginal cultures to rule out any other types of vaginal infections (such as yeast).
If these are normal, it may simply be due to your recent surgery and change in hygiene.
Using an over the counter product for feminine itching such as vagisil may be helpful.

As for the fact that you had unprotected sex-herpes is passed through skin to skin contact, not through semen.
Since you have no history of herpes, I would expect you to have symptoms of an initial outbreak if this were truly herpes--an initial outbreak is much more severe and extensive usually. Many more ulcers are present, much more pain and often fever and joint pain is present as well.

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What scares me as well is that some people,present,with no symptoms even as a,first out break how commom is this?
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you are right. That is very true. It is fairly common.
There are many people who test positive (blood test) who have never actually had an outbreak. I do not like to order the blood testing in people who have never had an outbreak because of this. It makes it confusing for all--it simply indicates an exposure but there is no way to know whether an outbreak will occur in the future and also what the risk of transmission is to a partner.

But, what you are describing--a pus filled lesion, is not typical for herpes.

Dr abby
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How scared should I be? Sorry I dont get my results for 5 days not coping. And is it.likely that if it is that it was this last partner. We had sex 3 weeks ago?
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 1 year ago.
How many days after sex did the pimple appear?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ive only noticed it in the last couple of days.. So maybe 10 days
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 1 year ago.
If you had sex three weeks ago and the pimple appeared in the last couple of days it seems like it would be over 2 weeks after?

The average time for a herpes sore to appear after exposure is 4 days. It can take longer (some can appear 12 days after sex) but it is much more common for it to appear sooner.

How much concern should you have? That is a difficult question to answer.
But, given the time frame of the appearance of the pimple and the way that the pimple appeared (pus filled), I think your level of concern should be low.

Dr Abby